do I need sump pump or drain tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
I was replacing the sewage ejector basin this weekend.
To do so, I had to remove the existing one and re-dig a little bit so there was a 3ft hole in the ground. On leaving it overnight, it filled up with water to around 2ft but stayed stable at that depth.
I'm re-concreting around the basin but am worried that this is quite a high water table - it is spring though with snow melt season.
The water has never ever come through the concrete into the converted/liveable basement area but worried that it is very close to the concrete slab of the house.
Do I need a sump or have to install french drains around the concrete grade of the house?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you still have the concrete torn up. I would consider putting in another basin or sump liner. Just below the concrete, there is usually a layer of gravel. I would note that level, and drill a bunch of 3/16 holes at that level. I would put the liner in place. If you ever see water enter the sump liner, I would add a sump pump. Maybe put that in place before you detect water, just in case.

I actually did this, and it was very effective in my case. Maybe that was because the gravel was pea gravel instead of the more common crushed stone. I drilled some holes lower than the gravel layer, but it was suggested that I ended up pumping more water than necessary. So I would do my drilling higher.

I would plug the sump pump into an outlet -- ideally on an dedicated circuit. I would not run that power through a GFI or AFCI breaker myself, even if it might be against a rule. I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How old is the house, and how long have you lived there? It will only become a problem if the level rises higher than the footing, but we have no way to know if that will happen. Given our current weather trends, putting in a sump pit like Reach mentioned would not add much to the job you are working now.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Cabin is about 40 years old, never been flooded but there is a river nearby that gets high this time of year.
There is a hill behind the house but ultimately there`s still a slope down to the river so water should run away but lots of clay in the soil also.
Could be moisture/humidity getting in temporarily somewhere but difficult to say.
I can't put a sump liner in next to the sewage liner as it's such a small crawl space that it would be impossible to dig. The "room" is underneath some stairs so the only space is near the end and I wouldn't be able to stand to dig.
There is a shed outside with concrete floor that I could put a sump in but would this cover the whole house (say 25ft x 2ft) if at is towards one side of the house rather than the middle of the house?

Lastly as there is a slope, not sure if putting in French drains would help at all...
Isn't concrete impermeable to water?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't have a basement to flood, and the crawl should have a barrier such as poly to separate the moisture in the soil from the structure. Unless there is a really good reason to pump the water down lower, there is no reason to invest in what it will take to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks