Do I need dielectric unions for a circulator pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

deltasmith

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a recirculator pump in my domestic hot water system. I have an older Noritz tankless water heater which provides a power tap for the pump. The pump I'm looking at is stainless steel and I will need to install it in a copper supply line. The manufacturer (Aquamotion) only provides stainless steel flange kits. Do I need to install dielectric unions where the stainless joins the copper?

deltasmith

Reaction score
No - flanges will have rubber gasket and stainless bolts

Thanks for the reply. I have the impression that the stainless bolts don't provide electrical insulation, and I didn't see anything in the manufacturer's documents to indicate that there were insulating sleeves and washers.

I did a LOT of reading after I posted this question, and came to recognize that about 80% of people who post on the topic of dielectric unions think they are worse than nothing (and about 20% think they work great, go figure).

I also read (somewhat ambiguous) California plumbing code that indicated that "dielectric fittings" could be used. It was ambiguous on the point of what constitutes a dielectric fitting. I saw that one large municipality in California considers a 6 inch brass nipple to be a dielectric fitting, but I'm currently contemplating "dielectric nipples", which are shorter but have a plastic liner in the nipple. I'm currently leaning toward the latter but would be interested to hear what people's experience has been with either approach. From an electrical safety perspective, I like these alternatives because it keeps the electrical piping all electrically bonded together. What I don't know is which approach would be better at limiting corrosion.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Unless your in a area corrosion is bad, just pipe it with the flanges. Never really had a problem with a dielectic except when taking one apart years down the road when the gasket gets hard then end up replacing the whole union.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks