Do I need an anti scald / mixing valve for my tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Salguod

Reaction score
I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question. I was told at plumbing rough that I may need a anti scald or thermostatic mixing valve for my tub.

I was referred to Ohio plumbing code 424.3 and 424.5. I'm installing a floor mounted Pfister tub filler and the corresponding rough in valve.

Ohio Plumbing Code 424.3 (Individual Shower Valves) says:

"Individual shower and tub-shower combination valves shall be balanced-pressure, thermostatic or combination balanced-pressure/thermostatic valves that conform to the requirements of ASSE 1016 or ASME A112.18.1/CSA B125.1 and shall be installed at the point of use."

Under "Code compliance" the rough in valve documentation says it complies with both ASSE 1016 and ASME A112.18.1 and the faucet says it is "IAPMO Certified to ASME A112.18.1/CSA B125.1"

Ohio Plumbing Code 424.5 (Bathtub and Whirlpool Bathtub Valves) says:

"The hot water supplied to bathtubs and whirlpool bathtubs shall be limited to a maximum temperature of 120°F (49°C) by a water-temperature limiting device that conforms to ASSE 1070 or CSA B125.3, except where such protection is otherwise provided by a combination tub/shower valve in accordance with Section 424.3."

Under "Code compliance" the rough in valve says "CSA B125 Certified"

Based on this information, it seems to me like I should be OK with these components. Do I understand this correctly?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You stated valve conforms to b125 I didnt see where you said it conforms to b125.3 So It appeares to not comply

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
"The hot water supplied to bathtubs and whirlpool bathtubs shall be limited to a maximum temperature of 120°F (49°C) by a water-temperature limiting device
Looking at the instructions for your tub filler, there's no discussion of a way to set a maximum hot water temperature.

Cheers, Wayne

Salguod

Reaction score
You stated valve conforms to b125 I didnt see where you said it conforms to b125.3 So It appeares to not comply
I guess I assumed if it complied with B125, it would comply with B125.3. I was thinking B125.3 was a subsection of B125, but I'm not sure.

Looking at the instructions for your tub filler, there's no discussion of a way to set a maximum hot water temperature.

Cheers, Wayne
It also says "except where such protection is otherwise provided by a combination tub/shower valve in accordance with Section 424.3" and the faucet and valve seem to comply to everything in that section. It's not a shower valve, strictly, although it does have a handheld shower.

I've reached out to both Pfister & the inspector for clarification.

If it doesn't comply, what would I need to do to make it comply?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It also says "except where such protection is otherwise provided by a combination tub/shower valve in accordance with Section 424.3" and the faucet and valve seem to comply to everything in that section. It's not a shower valve, strictly, although it does have a handheld shower.
At first glance, I wouldn't say that 424.5 is saying that if your tub/shower valve complies with 424.3, you don't need to be able to set a maximum temperature. I would say that 424.5 is saying that if your tub/shower valve complies with 424.3, and has an ability to set a maximum temperature, then it doesn't need to comply with "ASSE 1070 or CSA B125.3". Because the tub/shower valve still has to provide "such protection."

But I haven't read the referenced standards, so I'm not sure that's correct.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We either install a tempering valve in an accessible location at the tub or one on top of the water heater that covers the entire house.
Im out of date with this stuff and the legal mumbo jumbo. but going through it trying to figure it out. if thge tub valve is compliant under the same spec as a tub /shower valve and has anti siphon for hand held . then the hotwater dosent need a 1070 tempering valve.
I guess I had forgotten that a 2 handle tub valve or similar is a no no even on a tub only unless the 1070 tempering is employed.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to reiterate, I read 424.5 as requiring a way to set a maximum temperature of hot water coming out of the tub filler, whether it is via a "device that conforms to ASSE 1070 or CSA B125.3" or via a feature on a "tub/shower valve in accordance with Section 424.3."

And on the tub filler in the OP, the instructions don't mention any way to set a maximum temperature of hot water.

Cheers, Wayne

Salguod

Reaction score
It seems like both interpretations are reasonable. It probably comes down to what the inspector thinks. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to reiterate, I read 424.5 as requiring a way to set a maximum temperature of hot water coming out of the tub filler, whether it is via a "device that conforms to ASSE 1070 or CSA B125.3" or via a feature on a "tub/shower valve in accordance with Section 424.3."

And on the tub filler in the OP, the instructions don't mention any way to set a maximum temperature of hot water.

Cheers, Wayne
This is our interpretation and how our inspectors see it. We used to Only be able to add a device directly to the tub fixture for that fixture only, but now we can add one to the water heater that regulates all the hot water.

Salguod

Reaction score
@Tuttles Revenge, I'm curious, are you in Ohio?

I have not heard from the inspector yet, but I got this from Pfister:

Pfister model #0X6-270R is not a pressure balance (anti-scald) valve and is IAPMO Certified to ASME A112.18.1/CSA B125.1 only.

Based on that, and the bulk of the discussion here, it seems like I'm going to need a tempering or mixing valve of some kind.

My next question is what, exactly, do I need. Home Depot has this Shark Bite thermostatic mixing valve, is this what I need?

This being a free standing tub with a free standing tub filler, there's no good place to install it. The inspector suggested installing it in the vanity, but that's across the bathroom from the tub, about 10' away. Plus, I've already got the rough in valve plumbed. :p

My thinking is that I'd leave the cold plumbing as is and reroute the hot to the vanity. The mixing valve would be between the hot & cold in the vanity and I'd run the hot from that valve to the tub filler. Like this:

Proposed tub plumbing.jpg

Would that be a proper installation, or do I need to reroute the cold too to be tee'd off the cold under the vanity? Is having the mixing valve 10' from the tub filler OK?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I like your plans for installing it. It will give you hot water delivered to the bathroom quicker than a mixing valve at the WH.

I don't know what mixing valves are better than others.

Salguod

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I mostly wanted to make sure it's the right type of device and that leaving the cold directly connected to the tub valve while the hot is delivered from the vanity will be OK.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks