Do I need an air vent for this configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
I'm connecting the water softener Drain line to the washing machine drain line. The washing machine is up a floor and the part of the pipe I'm adding the tee to is in the basement. I'm going to add a ptrap after the tee and then have the pipe go up 18 inches before putting the airgap on it. My question is do I also need to vent beteeen the ptrap and pipe(washing machine drain line) I'm adding the tee to? The washing machine drain line runs into the horizontal main waste line a foot below the tee I'm adding if that makes any difference.

The washing machine drain line goes down to basement. Then runs across the ceiling about 10 feet and then down the wall 3 feet. Where it's running down the wall is where I'm adding the tee to drain the softener into.

The picture shows a clean out tee. I'll be using a different tee.

Attachments

• PXL_20210209_184338722.jpg
    PXL_20210209_184338722.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20210214_024513633.jpg
    PXL_20210214_024513633.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 138

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standpipe downstairs should have a p-trap that is vented.
In this drawing, the tubs and lavs are trapped, the toilet trap is above the floor built into the bowl.

dwv_b2.jpg

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
A standpipe downstairs should have a p-trap that is vented.
In this drawing, the tubs and lavs are trapped, the toilet trap is above the floor built into the bowl.

dwv_b2.jpg
Hi Terry.

Thank you for the reply and thank you for the diagram. This makes it easier to understand how everything is vented and connected to the vent through the roof. The pipe I'm connecting into is the drain pipe for the washing machine one floor up. So if that pipe is vented there then does that mean I don't need to vent again where I'm cutting into and adding another trap and drain?

After rereading your reply it seems the answer is I do need to.

Last edited:

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
The lower floor trap gets a vent too. You could also use an AAV there. Maybe not code where you're at, but they do work.
Thank you. I was going to use an AAV but it's not code in my state. If I did would I put the AAV in the spot in the picture I posted?

Thankyou for taking the time to answer my questions. Very cool of you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plan likely wont work properly and isn't code, the AAV works but isn't code, or build to code with a vent if there is one other plumbing around maybe there is a vent to tie in nearby between trap and santee extended up 4 or 6 inches above top of stand pipe would be AAV if it was legal or your vent could extend to a suitable location drain line should have air gap where it connects to standpipe

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Your plan likely wont work properly and isn't code, the AAV works but isn't code, or build to code with a vent if there is one other plumbing around maybe there is a vent to tie in nearby between trap and santee extended up 4 or 6 inches above top of stand pipe would be AAV if it was legal or your vent could extend to a suitable location drain line should have air gap where it connects to standpipe
Thank you. I think I understand what you're saying. I added a picture for how I interpreted what you said. Let me know if that's correct.

PXL_20210215_173137784.jpg

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
no hoses going to the aav dont know what thats about?
Maybe it's a sloppy drawing. I placed the AAV 6 inches above the vertical pipe after it changes horizontally. There's no hose going into the AAV.

The other side on the left side of the picture is the airgap with a softener Drain into it. I didn't clarify that in the second picture because I originally had in the first picture.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, don't do it like that. Do it like your first drawing shows. Vent between the ptrap and the vertical drain.
glad its clear to you his plan . Nothing wrong with second picture to me he shows a horzontal line with a combi and santee going to the trap and aav on top . But the other jibberish I dont get I guess he has a horrizontal line down low in basement.

Last edited:

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
No, don't do it like that. Do it like your first drawing shows. Vent between the ptrap and the vertical drain.
Thank you. It was going to be tough to add an AAV to the other pipe since it was so close to the ceiling.

The only problem I have is the AAVs are not code for my state. I figure I can do it to code at a later time but just wondering what consequences there could be. Will insurance not cover water damage if something's not to code?

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
glad its clear to you his plan . Nothing wrong with second picture to me he shows a horzontal line with a combi and santee going to the trap and aav on top . But the other jibberish I dont get I guess he has a horrizontal line down low in basement.
You are correct. It runs down about 10 feet and then exits the house to the septic.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt seriously you would lose your insurance coverage over it even if you had a regular vent nothing keeping stand pipe in basement from overflowing. You'll just have to make the call

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks