Do I need an additional check valve on top of the pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nighthawk 84

Do it right the first time
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I've heard it both ways. About a year ago I decided to take on installing our well pump myself. The local pump installer would only offer PVC drop pipe and I prefer poly. I am not a professional and I listen to what those that know what they're doing say and try to make the best decision. I am aware my system is built overkill. I have a Grundfus SQ 1-1/2hp 22GPM,with poly IPS 1-1/4 SIDR7 drop pipe running about 240ft down to the pump and 100 ft above ground teeing off to 1inch that will eventually supply two homes. Right out of the top of the casing I have CSV2W (not sure why I was told to get this one, but it's awesome regardless) then I have a 20gal wellxtrol tank and switch after which is a few large 1-1/4 sediment filters. I originally put a Simmons Check valve on top of the pump and the system has been working fine, though we have barely begun to use it as the homes are not built yet and only campers are on site. I installed no other check valves. Later I read Valveman and others say that this was not needed, still I read others say it is needed, especially since the Grundfus SQ's check valve is plastic. However the pump is built with soft start up and on top of that with the CSV installed, I'm gathering I should be fine with only the built in check valve.
Last week we had a lightning strike that took out the pump, though there was no external signs of damage, I tested and the pump was receiving power. I'm told the SQ is more susceptible to lightning damage because it has more electrical components.
We decided to try the SQ one more time, as besides the plastic check valve, I think it's an awesome pump that will last a long time granted we don't hit the lottery again. I'd just like to hear any thoughts before I pull off the additional check valve........or don't pull? And of course join my grandfather in telling me I over built the system.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
However the pump is built with soft start up and on top of that with the CSV installed, I'm gathering I should be fine with only the built in check valve.
Yes, with the CSV the built-in check valve will be in an almost closed position when the pump turns off so the check valve will not slam shut.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
From a professional installer's perspective.....we ALWAYS install an additional check valve immediately above the pump. We have to guarantee our labor and matetisls. It's cheap insurance. We replaced a pump a few weeks ago set 625 ft deep. How many check valves did It get? One besides the the one built into the pump. Doesn't matter if it's set 20 ft or 600 ft. One and only one additional check vakve.

On another forum for professionals only, an installer has been complaining about a particular brand. The internal check valves have been failing after just a few months. He now has dozens and dozens of pumps he has to pull and install another check valve for free.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I misread your first post and thought you already set the pump without the check valve and wondered if you should pull it and add it. For sure, if the pump is out of the hole, install a check valve directly onto the pump. Do NOT install it topside.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For me it depends on the check valve. I have never had a problem with the check valves that are built into a Grundfos pump, and therefore do not add another. But any other brand pump I would add a short nipple and a good check valve.

Nighthawk 84

Do it right the first time
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies! Sounds like we'd be fine either way. I've read that several never put an additional one and never have problems. We've been so busy we're just now about to put the pump back in. The installer we bought the pump from also recommends putting a check valve above. He's given me a 6 year warranty on it, so I guess I'll do as he says. Won't make a big difference in any case it seems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks