Do I need air injection for whole house filter to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dale Reimer

Reaction score
HI, I put in a water softener and whole house filter and It seemed to work in the beginning but after a while I got the rust and sulfur smell again. The system I put in is ABC Fleck 5600 stx 48,000 grain water softener and upflow carbon filter. I then installed a manual 5600 on the filter to back flush it and it didn't help. Now I'm reading about air injection is needed for well water. Can the 5600 be converted to air injection or will I have to buy another controller? Will a media change help and what kind in both filter and softener tanks? The poeple I bought this system threw have gone away no longer in business. Thank you for any help I can get.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
air injection will not help, in fact it will probably make things worse (promote more iron bacteria growth, especially with the carbon). you have the wrong system for your conditions. better off bypassing the carbon filter and just using your water softener with plenty of resin cleaners to clean it up and keep it clean ongoing. you could potentially add chlorine & contact tank ahead of the carbon filter, and that may work well for you if you don't mind the extra expense and maintenance of a chlorine system.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
this is what air and carbon will do to your filter (this was my air injection filter with carbon media)
index.php

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most online companies are like that, selling stuff barely above cost is not a long term business model, especially when you have to keep buying cheaper junk to compete with the next online company selling cheaper junk. As to what system would work for you, a real water test is needed. The term Well water has no meaning as to the quality of the water. I work with some of the largest bottled water companies, their well water is amazing, 20 ppm, perfect in almost every way, other well water systems appear to be a mixture of sea water mixed with raw sewage.

Use this link, get the well standard...
NTLWATERTEST

Once we have a real water test, we can make recommendations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks