Do I need a separate vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

wiz02

Reaction score
Hi:

I am changing my 2nd story tub from a LH to RH drain, so you don't have climb in between the toilet and the tub to turn on the shower. Originally all the plumbing was along one wall with lav, toilet and tub in a row. When I opened the walls, I was expecting to see vent stacks for all 3 fixtures, as shown below, but there is only the one behind the toilet. The distance from the tub drain to the stack is 3 feet in the current configuration. Tub drain is 1 1/2" PVC. If I move the tub drain to a RH configuration (adding 5 ft.), am I out of spec? And more importantly, any concerns about doing it even if it meets code? I can get a vent up to the attic without too much trouble if need be.

BTW, I was expecting to see venting as shown in the diagram but the only vent is behind the toilet. I have the walls open behind the lav and the tub and no vents are present. Out of curiosity, does the as built configuration meet code requirements? Thanks in advance

Expected Venting With Text.png
in the

Reach4

Reaction score
I am confident that London code would differ from the various US codes.

But applying general principles, the lavatory should have a trap and vent before the drainage goes down.

WC and tub might meet at least some US codes without extra vents.

wiz02

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Reach4, I never thought too much about the Union Jack avatar, until I saw your reply and realized that the default location for the forum is London. I quickly moved across "the pond" to get accurate answers. The lav has a trap, just no vent, same for the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks