Do I need a flange extender

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Dom Z, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Dom Z

Dom Z New Member

Remodeling my house
    I just completed tiling my bathroom floor. However, now the top of toilet flange is level with the top of the tile.
    Do I need to install a flange extender or will a single plan wax ring work?

The toilet I'm installing is a neorest 500 it came with an odd adapter that installs onto the flange and screws to the floor.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Dom Z

Dom Z New Member

Remodeling my house
    How much does it have to squish? It looks like it'll go about 1/2 inch. Or should I maybe use a fatter wax ring to be safe?
    Can I stack 2 wax ring together?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  5. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Like Terry said, just needs to squish all the way around the flange. Yes, you can use a thicker wax ring, or 2 wax rings - but probably don't need to from what you've described.

Do avoid the use of wax rings with a plastic horn or funnel - these have been known to cause restrictions.

The Toto "UniFit" system you are using is really a neat way to install a toilet. If you ever want to pull the toilet for some reason (like to paint/paper behind it), it's very easy and you don't need to replace a wax ring.