Do I have to correct this poor quality work?

Users who are viewing this thread

pazure

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a bathroom renovation and am ready to put in the Shower rough-in valves. The problem is, the feed pipes coming up through the sub-floor bottom plate have been really sloppily done. Please refer to the picture. As you will see, the hot feed coming up through the bottom plate is about 1/2" off center...no biggie. But the cold water feed comes up a full inch off of center.

I'm going to be putting my shower valve at about 38" up. My question is, when attaching the valve to the stringer, to make up for this pipe offset, I will have to "twist" the valve counterclockwise, then attach it at this pipe twisted (but valve face-on straight) angle. Is this going to place too much strain on the pipes? I've thought about using PEX, but I don't have the tools and really don't feel like going that route (or for that matter, CPVC).

It would be a real hassle, but I could redo the pipes under the sub-floor and move the cold water entry point hole 1" back from where it is now, and thus even with the hot water pipe.

Thanks for your help. P51017052.jpg

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not a pro plumber, but I would use a pair of 45 sweat elbows to offset it to where you need it to be

pazure

Reaction score
Bob, I did think about that, but the whole neatness/impact on water flow question got me discarding that idea. I may just revisit it. If I do it right, I can still secure the pipe to the 2x4 that will go next to it (as long as I sweat them along the same axis). I may just go with that. Thanks for the input!

Would love to see other suggestions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
These pipes are under pressure. Put as many fittings in as needed.
Plumbers almost always come up from the plate in different locations and then use fittings when needed.
If the horizontals are run near the edge of the stud, the hot is normally run inward of the cold to miss it. At least any apprentice that works for me better do it that way!

For installing a tub or shower valve, you first determine where it needs to be plumbed in relation to your "finished" wall.
The valve is secured in that location, and then the pipe is run to it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea, a couple of elbows or 45's are not going to effect the flow enough to make a difference there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your "analysis" is completely off base. There is no reason WHY the pipes would, or even should, be centered on the wall in the first place. And even if they were, THAT would NOT be where your valve would need them to be. You install the pipes to the height of the valve, THEN use fittings to offset the pipes to the inlets which will usually be near the front of the wall. The cold water is probably closer to the correct location than the hot water is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks