Do drains leading into lift pump need vents and traps

Users who are viewing this thread

GeorgeH

Reaction score
My main sewer drain exits the house at about 5 feet above basement floor. There are four drains in the basement (floor drain, laundry sink, washing machine drain, and a pipe that sticks about one foot out of the floor) All of these lead to a pit outside the house (several feet below basement floor level) which has a pump that pumps up to to the sewer line. Do the drains in the basement need to have traps and vents?

I am trying to install a (2nd) washing machine drain onto the pipe that is one foot out of the floor. Any advice on required heights, traps, vents would be appreciated. Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes. Any plumbing leading into a sewage basin with pump gets traps and venting.
And the sewage basin gets a 2" vent and a 2" discharge with check valve and gate valve.

The last thing you want is non-trapped plumbing fixtures on a sewage pump. It would be a horrible smell.
And the traps need venting, just like all plumbing is, to prevent those traps from having water pulled from them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks