DIYing is a craft that can be learned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
I grew up working on and around farms. Most farmers can do a wide variety of tasks. This includes constructing houses, rebuilding engines, birthing animals, etc. I suspect that non-livestock farmers may tend to do more themselves during their 'dead time' between seasons.

I'm completely convinced that there isn't much that an avid diy'er can not do. It just takes a lot of time and dedication. You have to be willing to learn from a variety of sources (books, inspectors, professionals, etc). The learning portion of the projects typically take much more time then the doing portion of the project.

I've also found as a diy'er, I tend to overdesign my work. I use 12 gauge stranded for all electrical runs (even if I use a 15 Amp breaker), use gfci's everyplace, etc. I live in a very affluent area; the inspectors actually seem to enjoy seeing a homeowner do the work.

There are a few suburbs in the Chicago area that do not allow homeowners to do their own work. There certainly does not seem to be a measurable market price differential (buyers are not paying a premium) for living in these suburbs. I strongly suspect there is also not a statistically significant difference in fire safety related indicators. Has anyone actually seen any hard data?

Steve

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
From what I've seen in my time, there won't a noticeable difference.

The difference will be between either of those neighbourhoods, and the nearest slum. It's the crackhead/drunk/junkie "handyman" slumlords hire, that you have to worry about.

Further thoughts...

I've worked for/with lots of competent DIYers; it's not always "rescue me, I'm in over my head", it's often "I don't feel like having to learn how to plaster".

My earlier comment, about how it doesn't save you any money, but offers unparalleled satisfaction, is largely based on conversations I've had with those DIYers. There's a tremendous satisfaction in being able to say "I did it myself".

It's the ones doing it to try to save money, that I've had to rescue.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks