DIYing is a craft that can be learned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
I long for the old days, where each person knew how to construct and maintain their own home, grow and cook their own food, make their own clothes, and so forth.

I'm with you on that...Used to be everyone had a workshop in the basement or garage,a garden in the back yard. people are cramming so much into their lives now that it's no wonder people are all so stressed out (wasn't all this new technology supposed to give us more free time not less?). When is the last time most people remember seeing a sunrise?Ask that question to 20 people and you would be lucky if 1 or 2 could even tell you.
Of course the powers that be like the fact men and women work so much(gotta generate those tax dollars!)_
Me,thats why I moved to the big island.As I write this I'm listening to the crickets and the coqui frogs under a night sky with a million stars visible.My fruit trees filling up with fruit,veggies getting bigger,my chickens busy making more baby chickens,this life ain't for everyone I guess...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old Dog said:
Me,thats why I moved to the big island.As I write this I'm listening to the crickets and the coqui frogs under a night sky with a million stars visible.My fruit trees filling up with fruit,veggies getting bigger,my chickens busy making more baby chickens,this life ain't for everyone I guess...

I'm getting jealous.:)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

What about C++, Java, & PHP programmers, IT designers, computer engineers?
They're specialized.
You wouldn't be posting here without them.
You miss the old days?
Um ... whadaya doin' here?
Sorry to offend, but I couldn't ignore that point.

...and I'm not growing my own food, building my own home, or making my own clothes either. Just musing, that's all.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Old dog....want a roomie?
You have a very valid point there...I spend alotta time sitting at my desk here.
When I was a kid it was the park, the beach or the playground.
Now kids sit at the tv watching "nic" or playing playstation...or in im's on the computer.

Tonight...I made plans with my 9 yr old...we're going out so he can learn to ride his bike...been buggin' him about this for weeks and weird thing is he seems like it's an imposition.
Like Dylan said "The times they are a changin'"

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
...and I'm not growing my own food, building my own home, or making my own clothes either. Just musing, that's all.

I hear ya...I'm going to visit a friend that moved from the city to a place thats the complete opposite in a few weeks, he's literally hundreds of miles from any city now.
He says he's glad he made the move, but he didn't realize how big the changes would be.
I wouldn't say this to him, but I think he thought the grass would be greener.
I'm like you...I dream what a simpler lifestyle would be like, but I know it's just dreamin'.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
I'm like you...I dream what a simpler lifestyle would be like, but I know it's just dreamin'.
Don't get me wrong. I've simplified my life 1000% since I left the crazy corporate world. I work about 20 hrs a week and spend the rest of the time making music, hiking in the mountains, and photographing rainbows and sunsets. It's not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than the "Dilbert-esque" life I was leading.

Attachments

• Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 359

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Verdeboy said:
... farming communities to spiritual communities to alternative health communities, but never found one that exactly fit my needs ...

How about you? Have you logged on to www.IC.org recently?

No, not in a while, but I have spent some time looking around there. One proposed startup looked promising until "Dora" turned out to actually be "Theodora" ...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
molo said:
I Wonder ... What Folks Were Saying About The Wright Brothers ...

I have heard their father was Chancellor of some college, and he was planning to shut down the science department while believing everything that could ever be invented had already been invented ... and he then fired the head of that department who was trying to defend his own job by saying some people believed man might yet find a way to fly!

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

When I lived in Las Vegas,I thought so too.I would visit my wife's family in Hawaii,get excited about the lifestyle but then get caught back up in work and everything else after our vacation.What got me off my a** to do something was when I almost got killed in an accident in Vegas.A "visitor" from across the border,drunk and in a stolen work van plowed into the back of me at a stoplight.Totaled my work truck,fractured my jaw in 3 places,lost 20 teeth.It made me realize that you should'nt wait.I kept at it until we were able to make it work.IT's funny,I find I have alot more time to do what makes me happy when I keep myself away from the tv.Don't have cable or satellite.I rent or buy movies to watch.Do alot of research on the internet.Enjoy reading and adding my 2c's on sites like this one.
I guess what I'm trying to say... just figure out what really makes you happy and go for it.If an old f**t like me can do it anyone can.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
No, not in a while, but I have spent some time looking around there. One proposed startup looked promising until "Dora" turned out to actually be "Theodora" ...

That story would make more sense if you were talking about a blind date you went on. I guess there's probably more to the story. What kind of community were you looking to start and have you visited others?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a simple lifestyle....

If you are alone , you can just about do anything you
want and accept the consequences of your actions..
good or bad..

If you are marrried, then usually that simple life style
was thrown out the window a long time ago..because
most females I know dont cotton too well to living in
"hooterville" Remember the tv show Green Acres??.

Heck ,

I fondly dream of the days back when I could look down
and see my privates, without my gut hanging in the way....

those were the days..

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Verdeboy said:
That story would make more sense if you were talking about a blind date you went on. I guess there's probably more to the story.

The deal there ended up being that the woman who owned the property decided to end our discussions about qualifications for membership and anything else when I said "Dora" would have to dress like his real self while in public view on community property in order for me to be involved.

Verdeboy said:
What kind of community were you looking to start and have you visited others?

No, I have not, and the kind I would like would be relatively simple in structure, hetero******, monogamous and at least partly agrarian.

Don Gwinn

Reaction score
Website
www.thearmedschoolteacher.blogspot.com
That story about the Wright dad sounds apocryphal, but it's true that there were people who seriously proposed shutting down the patent offices in England in the late 19th century on the grounds that there would be no more useful inventions forthcoming . . . ever.
:eek:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
"Next on Oprah...the apocryphal father and how it relates to monogamous agrarian culture"

Sorry, couldn't resist...thread seems to have randomly drifted....I mean really drifted.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
No, I have not, and the kind I would like would be relatively simple in structure, hetero******, monogamous and at least partly agrarian.

If you check out that website, you'll find dozens of Christian-based communities that will probably meet your requirements.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
GrumpyPlumber said:
...thread seems to have randomly drifted....

No, not at all. DIYing is a craft that both can and should be learned, or re-learned, if you will, and there is even an intentional community somewhere in Texas that teaches everything a man, family or group of people need to know to live as we all did for thousands of years.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
No, not at all. DIYing is a craft that both can and should be learned, or re-learned, if you will, and there is even an intentional community somewhere in Texas that teaches everything a man, family or group of people need to know to live as we all did for thousands of years.

OK...good point.
Isn't that Amish?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
Yes, at least similar are far as food, clothing, shelter and "community" or fellowship are concerned ... kind of like all DIYing together.

I just can't imagine how they get by without cable, air conditiong, and MOST of all...drive-throughs.
Thats inhumane!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks