DIY'er Needs Some Advice (I'll air mail some xmas cookies your way...no joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

SkullFacker

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new member but I’ve been cruising the forum for a while now. I need some advice on my ensuite bathroom plumbing.

I have two Concerns:

#1) There seems to be only one 1.5" vent for the three fixtures.
#2) At the old shower drain location, there is a long tail piece which is connected to the p trap which is quite low (below the joists).

#1) There is a wye off the sink's p trap, the dry vent is 1.5" and the waste pipe is 2". The shower's waste pipe is also 2" and is wye'd into the sinks waste pipe....they carry on to dump into the stack. The shower seems to be wet vented from the sink. The toilet also dumps into the stack at the same location. The toilet is a short run, three or four feet until the stack. Should the toilet have a dry vent? Is the 1.5" dry vent sufficient to vent these fixtures?

#2) The old shower drain had a fairly long tail piece until it reached the p trap (12-18"). I’m assuming this was done to avoid having a steep (5"-6") drop off after the p trap. I want to move the drain, and I'd like to have the p trap right below the shower grate. How long does the shower trap arm have to be until I can have it drop that 5"-6" and into the sinks waste pipe? Is it even permissible? Do I have to maintain the 1/4" per foot slope? Should I consider boring through my joists so I can raise the height of the 2" waste pipes, and establish a 1/4" slope from the new shower p trap location? Or simply place a new p trap in a similar location and add another long arm from the shower drain to the trap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ken.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 20161209_195042.jpg
    20161209_195042.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 235

SkullFacker

Reaction score
The stack the 3" toilet pipe and 2" wastes pipes wye into (BLUE) doesn't extend up into the ceiling. It appears to be a soil stack.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks