DIYer: Best way to replace valve at the end of toilet's polybutylene line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jihanemo

Reaction score
PHOTO

The valve on the end of a polybutylene line is leaking and the valve won't come off (I tried dousing the entire thing in WD40, won't budge).

I did some research and it seems I can use a "Shark Bite" on the end of the line but it also seems that many plumbers are against using "Shark Bites"...?

I also found this solution on another forum that involves using a "pex-to-qwest crimp coupling"... I cannot understand the technical language they used to describe the solution (his solution also seems to be specifically for a faucet but I don't think that matters)...

"get a pex-to-qwest crimp coupling. (pex = 3 letters = 3 rings on the fitting; qwest = 5 letters = 5 rings on fitting) Take a 3" piece of pex. crimp on your pex style angle stop (both hot and cold) Now crimp the pex side onto both make-up pieces you should have an angle stop on one side and a pex coupling on the other (if you build the piece before you get under your cabinet, you'll only have two crimps in that tight-ass space). Cut the grey qwest pipe (carefully. don't crush it). Slide your crimp ring onto cold and crimp it in"

Anyhow, I definitely plan to carefully cut the line where it meets the valve as I don't see any other way of removing the valve. I'm going to try to replace the valve with another compression valve and see if that holds...

Any other suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks