DIY Water Heater Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, great forum.

My water heater is leaking and needs to be replaced and I'm thinking about doing it myself with compression adaptors and flexible stainless steel corrugated connectors, and a gas flex line.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-in-MIP-Brass-Adapter-Fitting-15002/205680975

compression-3-4.jpg

How tight should the compression nut be tightened down on 3/4 copper pipe to make it secure so it can handle the water pressure and constant expansion and contraction from the hot and cold water. I don't want to flood the basement. Also, when installing the compression fitting, should the pipe be all the way in or out about 1/16" to avoid push back on the ferrule when tightening. How about pipe dope, tape. Some say tape on the ferrule prevents leaks forever.

If installed correctly, how much maintenance is this setup going to need for the life of the water heater?
I've read posts of other people having issues with leaking flex connectors and corroding nipples. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A compression fitting can be pushed on all the way and then tightened.
A compression fitting can be installed out of the wrapping and snugged up. It's also okay to put some oil on the threads, WD40 is good for that. I sometimes take some pipe dope and dab a bit on the circle end of the fitting. I have never used tape on a compression fitting and don't see any reason for it.
A flex connector has rubber seals on the end. Those go on clean and typically last as long as the water heater. I've even had a homeowner request that I reuse them. Nope, once they're off, they're tossed. I only install new ones. So again, no tape when installing flex connectors.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How tight should the compression nut be tightened down on 3/4 copper pipe to make it secure so it can handle the water pressure and constant expansion and contraction from the hot and cold water.
Many people worry about over-tightening and crushing the pipe. Unless you have very long wrenches, I don't think that is a concern.

Attaching a compression fitting to 3/4 inch copper is not a job for 6 inch wrenches unless you are very strong and not working at arm's length. And yes, use two wrenches. I am not a plumber.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC does not allow compression fittings on water heaters.

The DOB is now issuing fines along wit the ECB that can go over $10,000

Depending where in NY you live as some localities are very lax and there is no code enforcement unit

Jason1

Reaction score

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. I have a follow up question. What is a better sealant to use with copper pipe,
neutral cure silicone or gutter sealant? I think the gutter sealant is also neutral cure but it should last longer than the silicone.

Sealant is called LEAD FREE SOLDER or Brazing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks