DIY Horizontal Boring

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I need to run some underground electrical and don't want to tear up a lot of yard with trenching. I was thinking that I could use a dock auger (pic below) on the end of some IMC conduit to bore horizontally from inside my crawlspace. I have hard blue clay. Do you think 1 inch threaded IMC would be strong enough? I could pump water into the IMC which would lubricate the auger tip and help the IMC slide.

200_auger.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The plan was to leave the IMC in place after driving it and locating the end. I didn't want to have to use the more expensive rigid conduit and leave it in the ground.

Cost comparisons per foot:

Rigid = $2.25
IMC = $1.41

I thought that alternately, I could use SCH40 iron pipe inside larger belled PVC conduit and then pull out the iron pipe after driving it but then I'd have all this left over iron pipe.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Went to Manards but they didn't have IMC but they did have 3/4" ridgid conduit on sale for the $1.39 so I went with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks