DIY Gas line from meter at street to house

Users who are viewing this thread

Nic3456

Reaction score
Going to start trenching my utilities in a few weeks.

One question/concern I have with the gas (and the gas company isn't being helpful). They are going to install the meter at the road. I will be trenching/running pipe about 550ft to the house.
Since the meter is at the street what will I be connecting to at the house? I'm assuming the shutoff valve & regulator (which I need because I'm going to have an elevated delivery pressure).

The gas company wants to inspect my pipe/trenches before backfilling but also recommends leaving then open until the gas pressure testing is done - which I'm assuming means the gas needs to be connected to the house or just the shutoff valve? (when they inspect the trench the meter at the road won't even be installed by them yet). So do I just leave the trench open for a few weeks or wait until later in the project and trench once I can connect everything to the house as well?
I'm planning on a plumber doing all the actual connections, but I'm trying to get everything planned so I can trench all the utilities at the same time with my rented trencher. Note: I plan on putting the gas about 24" deep.

Thabks

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this new construction?
Are neighboring homes have the gas meter at the street also, or at the houses?

Gas supplying companies don't want to deal with homeowners on projects like yous. They want to deal with a licensed plumber. Have your plumber contact them and get the specifics directly from them.

If you want to dig and save money, it's between you and the plumber. The gas company wants to have everything inspected for a reason.

BTW, if you are going to have an open trench this long for extended periods of time, protect yourself from possible injuries and law suits.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the gas company gave you a quote for putting the meter at the house, and it was way to much ($15000?) . Maybe after planning what it is going to take, you will reconsider. If they put the line in, they do the maintenance. If there were leaks (unlikely), they would be before the meter.

If you are going to have 6-inch water column gas pressure provided at the street, you will need some big pipe to your house. Plan ahead for furnace, tankless WH (not really a good idea to actually do IMO) and backup generator (really). The gas company could use much smaller pipe and might be able to lay that without digging a trench. The effect on the yard will be much less.

If the gas company can provide higher pressure to your house, that would considerably reduce the pipe size needed.

Erico

Reaction score
Going to start trenching my utilities in a few weeks.

One question/concern I have with the gas (and the gas company isn't being helpful). They are going to install the meter at the road. I will be trenching/running pipe about 550ft to the house.
Since the meter is at the street what will I be connecting to at the house? I'm assuming the shutoff valve & regulator (which I need because I'm going to have an elevated delivery pressure).

The gas company wants to inspect my pipe/trenches before backfilling but also recommends leaving then open until the gas pressure testing is done - which I'm assuming means the gas needs to be connected to the house or just the shutoff valve? (when they inspect the trench the meter at the road won't even be installed by them yet). So do I just leave the trench open for a few weeks or wait until later in the project and trench once I can connect everything to the house as well?
I'm planning on a plumber doing all the actual connections, but I'm trying to get everything planned so I can trench all the utilities at the same time with my rented trencher. Note: I plan on putting the gas about 24" deep.

Thabks

Did you ask for a construction spec sheet? I know some suppliers will give written specs on how they want it done.

You probably need the interior roughed in and inspected with stub-out and shut off outside. The new gas line stubbed out of ground capped and tested. In other words, ready to go whether they install a regulator or not.

P.s. I'm not a pro

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks