DIY Basement ventilation and boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
It's cold outside, really cold, so I'm doing some projects in my basement some of which really need to be done in "well ventilated area" (i.e. wood staining, working with acetone, etc.). So I really want to try and make some kind of inexpensive ventilation system. Then I realized, I already have a flue from my active oil boiler, which goes to the roof (about 30 feet up). Is there any way I can utilize it (add some kind of coupling or slitter)?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The danger comes from the heavy vapors collecting and igniting when the water heater or boiler fire.

I paint, stain, and epoxy fiberglass in my basement all winter with no problem. I do the cleanup with the styrene, acetone, and thinners outside or in the garage, which is the only safe place to do it.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You absolutely don't want to be venting volatile solvents into a flue shared by a boiler.

Installing a kitchen range exhaust hood can handle smaller painting jobs, but for big projects, take it outside.

Alice Murphy

Reaction score
I have checked my basement after long time yesterday and there were molds on every wall. I called a professional to deal with that and he asked me to add a ventilation system. Its poor ventilation that caused excess moisture and let the mold grow. We don't have any flue or something so I install a ventilation system ventis. In my opinion, you should install a blower or an exhaust fan that can maintain proper flow of air inside basement area.

Last edited:

Bratan

Reaction score
I have checked my basement after long time yesterday and there were molds on every wall. I called a professional to deal with that and he asked me to add a ventilation system. Its poor ventilation that caused excess moisture and let the mold grow. We don't have any flue or something so I install a ventilation system ventis. In my opinion, you should install a blower or an exhaust fan that can maintain proper flow of air inside basement area.
I'm curious did you have dehumidifier? It really is a must in the summer. Also here's interesting article I found comparing ventilation system and dehumidifier...

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
In much of the US ventilation would add, not remove moisture from basements in summer, assuming the foundation had proper drainage and the surface water was properly diverted. It can be a problem anywhere that the deep subsoil temperatures are 5-10 degrees or more cooler than the average summertime outdoor dew points.

That said, most moldy basement problems are a ground water or bulk water drainage problem. In places with low dew points ventilation can mitigate the mold issue, but usually with a heating/cooling energy use penalty. It's better to fix it at the source when you can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks