Ditching chlorination, have some questions

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Hey all, so last year I completely rebuilt my entire filtration system. Due to the presence of iron bacteria, clean water store recommended chlorine injection, which would also help oxidize the iron present. Despite the fact that I'm told on this forum that only mechanical filtration is needed when chlorinating iron, they still sold me an iron filter which I guess is good because now I can use it without chlorine.

I have tested my water post install and chlorate was right at the max threshold, so I was slightly concerned about that. Also I have not been able to find NSF rated chlorine despite people saying it is available. That and the hassle involved in refilling the tank every 1-2 months made me decide to just stop using the chlorine injection for now.

My questions:

- With no chlorination happening, should I leave the carbon filter in place? Is there any issue with it being hooked up and not seeing any chlorine? Clean water store had mentioned that it would be best for some chlorine to make it to the carbon filter for the sake of the filter itself but I'm not sure why.

- What should I look for or keep an eye on in the system to see if iron bacteria is causing a problem?

- My well water is *extremely* high in silt/sediment. I'm thinking the contact tank is still going to help settle some of this out, and I regularly flush the system out with a hose bib at the bottom of the tank.

I'm curious though - To flush the system I run a hose out the back door from this hose bib and run it until the water is clean. While chlorinating, I would get a blast of dirty water then it would run clean about 5 seconds later. After stopping chlorination, I get dirty water for several minutes or more.

Also, my spin-down filter never really had anything collect in it while chlorinating, but now it slowly builds up sediment at the bottom.

My question is, why would that be? What is happening to this silt during chlorination? Is this expected?

For reference here is my system design:

pub

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
"Regular Clorox bleach is NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approved. Clorox has evolved over the years from 5.25% to 6% and most recently 8.25%. ... The Clorox with additives is not NSF approved and should not be used in your drinking water supply." From http://www.nerwa.org/gwnews/rt214.pdf.

Reach4

Reaction score
"Regular Clorox bleach is NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approved. Clorox has evolved over the years from 5.25% to 6% and most recently 8.25%. ... The Clorox with additives is not NSF approved and should not be used in your drinking water supply." From http://www.nerwa.org/gwnews/rt214.pdf.
If you see http://info.nsf.org/USDA/Listings.asp?Company=N02513, the listed uses don't seem to include water treatment. Plus, I am not sure if you can find "old regular" in the stores.

I think things may have changed since https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/chlorine-for-well.73106/

I still use the Aldi bleach, but I only use bleach during backwash. I have no reason to think that it contains sodium polyacrylate. The Clorox site now shows their bleaches for "emergency water disinfection": https://www.clorox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Clorox_Regular_CloroMax_FactSheets_0911.pdf

My question is, why would that be? What is happening to this silt during chlorination? Is this expected?
I suspect much of this was not silt, but rather sediment from the iron and sulfur compounds being oxidized. A microscope on the sediment could show the difference I think.

For oxidizing iron and sulfur stuff, how about H2O2?

SuperGreg

Reaction score
I suspect much of this was not silt, but rather sediment from the iron and sulfur compounds being oxidized. A microscope on the sediment could show the difference I think.

For oxidizing iron and sulfur stuff, how about H2O2?

I would expect extra sediment from the oxidation, but why is there less overall stuff in the water instead? Seems like most of the silt is gone while chlorinating. When I stop chlorinating I start to see silt build up in the spin-down filter and blowing it out of the bottom of the contact tank takes longer and it looks dirtier.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had missed the bit about less sediment from blowdown the first time. I don't know, unless the precipitated chlorine compound is less black.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Can you confirm that you don't have iron bacteria? If not, continue using chlorine. If filling a tank every other month as that bothersome, maybe check on the cost of running a municipal line. I think it is as cheap as 30K per mile.

SuperGreg

Reaction score
When I got my water test, they said iron bacteria was "present". If I don't chlorinate, what is the worst outcome? Will my filters become clogged with iron bacteria? Is there something I can check to see if it's beginning to become a problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks