Distance of well and pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmdukes72

Reaction score
my well head and pressure tank are 215ft from the house. The pressure is very low in the house. Would it be better to have the pressure tank an switch closer to the house. Or do I need a more powerful pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
my well head and pressure tank are 215ft from the house. The pressure is very low in the house.

Submersible or jet pump? What you do next would be affected by the answer.

Would it be better to have the pressure tank an switch closer to the house. Or do I need a more powerful pump?
Probably for closer. Maybe for more powerful. If you have a submersible pump, you may just need to increase the precharge on the pressure tank, and crank up the pressure on the pressure switch.

Oh, and make sure the problem is not a clogged cartridge filter.

Jmdukes72

Reaction score
Submersible or jet pump? What you do next would be affected by the answer.

Probably for closer. Maybe for more powerful. If you have a submersible pump, you may just need to increase the precharge on the pressure tank, and crank up the pressure on the pressure switch.

Oh, and make sure the problem is not a clogged cartridge filter.
I have a submersible pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want 2 PSI less than the pump cut-on pressure. The air precharge is always measured and changed with the water pressure = zero.

Here is what I suggest: determine the current cut on pressure. Let's call that X. Pump the air precharge up to (X+8). Turn the 3/8 nut on the pressure switch that is on the big spring, 3.5 turns clockwise. Start the pump. Note the new cut-on pressure. Use water until the pump cuts on. Note the new cut-on pressure. Expect that it will be about X+10. Adjust the air precharge if necessary.

Make sure the pump pressure is noticeably still climbing as you approach cut-off. If it takes a long time to make that last 3 PSI, you will want to back off some.

If the pump still climbs willingly, you could try the whole thing again. I would not go above 55/75 without some further thought and discussion.

Also, if the cut-on and cut-off pressures are not about 20 psi different, check back with us.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
I have never done this so asking a what if-------you installed another extra tank under the house. Something like a 202 Well-X-Trol that would accumulate pressure from the line at the slower rate then be ready to deliver full pressure in thehouse from a much closer distance. Anyone did such a thing? LB

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have never done this so asking a what if-------you installed another extra tank under the house. Something like a 202 Well-X-Trol that would accumulate pressure from the line at the slower rate then be ready to deliver full pressure in thehouse from a much closer distance. Anyone did such a thing? LB

Yeah you get a squirt of good pressure, but as soon as the closest tank is empty, you are right back to the same problem. Plus having tanks in two different locations, they will usually fill at different rates because of the friction loss between the tanks. With a CSV you can have tanks in different locations, as the CSV fills them at 1 GPM, and at that flow friction loss is not present.

Maybe all you need to do is turn the pressure switch up from 40/60 to 50/70. Adding a CSV to hold the pressure at a constant 60 would make a big difference, as the pressure doesn't keep going down to the cut in pressure over and over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks