Distance from well to septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

av76

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. We have a small piece of property in Pennsylvania. It has what we are told is a cesspool for septic. The well is right next to it. We are interested in having a septic system with a drain field and a new well put in. I am wondering how close the septic system can be to the well. If I am interpreting the Pennsylvania code correctly, we need the well and the "absorption area" to be at least 100 feet apart.
See:
http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Di.../pacode/data/025/chapter73/chap73toc.html&d=#

Here is what I think is the relevant section:
§ 73.13. Minimum horizontal isolation distances
(c) The following minimum horizontal isolation distances shall be maintained between the features named and the perimeter of the aggregate in the absorption area:
(3) An individual water supply or water supply system suction line—100 feet.

Am I interpreting this properly? If we can't get the 100 feet, are there any workarounds? Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Am I interpreting this properly? If we can't get the 100 feet, are there any workarounds?
Looking around, I think you have it right. But check with your local authority to make sure. They may have more relaxed rules. Most places have shorter minimum distance.

Typically you put the well on the higher elevation, and the drain field on the lower end. My well is in the front yard, and septic in the back due to the slope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks