Distance from septic exit to main vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

itinerant

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a house that has been gutted and needs new everything. I'm trying to do as much of the work myself as I can, and right now I'm making my plans for the building permit. I'm sure I'll have many questions, but right now I'm trying to figure out where my main DWV stack will go. The house has no DWV plumbing except some iron pipe where it exits the house to the septic tank, which includes an old standpipe style vent (see photo). My question is, do I need to continue my main vent stack straight up from this point, or can I run it horizontally (with proper slope, of course) to the middle of the house (about 12 feet) and run it straight up from there? I know I can run a drain pipe from the middle of the house, but my question is does there need to be a vent straight up from where the soil pipe exits to the septic? Thanks in advance for your help!
dwv.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You go "straight up" from WHEREVER the plumbing fixtures are located, and that has NOTHING to do with whether it is at the front of the house or in the center. WHAT is a "standpipe style vent"?

itinerant

Reaction score
You go "straight up" from WHEREVER the plumbing fixtures are located, and that has NOTHING to do with whether it is at the front of the house or in the center. WHAT is a "standpipe style vent"?

Thanks, HJ. What I meant by a standpipe style vent is that that pipe goes to the outside of the house and just has a little protector cap on it ; it doesn't go up to the roof or anything. I think this must be an old way of venting (the house was built in 1939).

I guess the question that I really should have asked is do I need a vent that goes straight up from where the DWV system exits the house, or can I run the soil pipe horizontally 12', and then run the main stack up from there? Based on your answer, I think yes, I can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks