Distance between Sump Pit and Ejector Pit

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
Hello,

I live near Chicago (Illinois Plumbing Code). I'm working on an addition that includes a full basement. The new basement is actually about 2 feet below the current basement.

During a recent visit, my plumbing inspector spotted that the architect did not include a drain in the new basement. He helped me size an ejector pit and pump (even pointed out the pump I needed was on sale).

I would like to locate the new pit in a location that is only about 2 feet from the sump pit in the existing basement. The ejector pit is actually about effectively on the other side of the footing from the old sump pit.

I do not own a copy of the Illinois plumbing code and the online search is a little bit lame. Is there a problem with locating the 2 pits close to each other? Something does not feel right.

If needed, I could actually fill in and abandon the current pit (connecting the inlets of course), since the two sump systems are linked and the new addition has a separate sump pit.

Is there a problem with locating a sump pit and ejector pit in close proximity to each other?

Thanks,
Steve

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
sump pit

Ok several questions.
Is this for clear water only?
Are insalling a bath room below your building sewer?
They make all sizes depending your applacation.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it does not matter

I guess you are going to add a bathroom
because you are instlaling an ejector pit in
the new addition???

It doesnot matter how close these two are to
each other....

the only thing that matters is that you be sure
you have a good drain intake seal going into the ejector pit so clear water from arond the foundationi does not leech
into the sealed pit for sewage only........

you really dont want the
sewage pump to be running all the time and
pumping out clear water into
the sewer system

but if all you are planning to ever throw into that
pit is a floor drain...you should just put in another
sump pump type pit.....

Seaneys

Reaction score
Sorry to make this difficult. The ejector is simply for a floor drain in the new area of the basement....

I might someday add a bar sink. I don't ever see adding a bathroom.

Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

By definition, an ejector pump is for solid wastes such as from a toilet. Liquid wastes can use the much less expensive sump pump. You can install basins next to each other it that is what the installation calls for, but if the old unit can be connected to the new, one either move the old one to the new location, or install a new sump pump for the entire system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks