Distance between pressure tank and pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

JAF

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting ready to finish my basement and I need to relocate my pressure tank because of the space it takes up and the fact there is no floor drain on that side of the basement. I have cold room that is separated from the main basement with a cinder block wall. I'd like to move the pressure tank in there and there is a floor drain only few feet away. My well line enters the house, goes about 18" via a 1" ploy line to a fitting that houses my pressure switch and gage, then goes another 6" via a gray PVC lie to a galv. tee which connects the main supply line and the pressure tank. What I would like to do is extend that line coming off the tee to the pressure tank though the cinder block wall about 6' away to the new location of the tank. That would mean a distance of around 7' between the tank and switch. I know the two are suppose to be kept close together but that would mean running two lines though the wall. Anything wrong with that distance?

Thanks!

JAF

Reaction score
Not really sure how far the pump is away. The head is about 30' away from the house, not sure how deep. I'm thinking it's less than 30' down.

The big reason for not wanting to move the switch is running two lines though the wall plus extending all the electrical.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
So, the pump is down the well then. It is best to have the switch, valves, and tank all in the same place for servicing and troubleshooting. Why not just run the drain line through the wall? How old is the tank? To save space you could put in a smaller tank and a Cycle Stop Valve for constant pressure.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
move the switch to the tank or run 1/4" nylon or pex line to the switch disconnected from the water stream where it is now.

JAF

Reaction score
Maybe a picture would help. I'd like to drill one hole and run one pipe into in the wall to the right. Keeping the tank on the existing tee and just extending it's distance. Now the tank is 1 foot away from the tee and 18" from the switch. If I relocate it, it would be 5 feet from the tee and 5'-6" away from the switch. Will that distance be too much? And what would be the downside?

The well was originally installed to feed the whole house. Two years after they come though with city water. So now, the city water supplies the house and the well is just for the outdoor spigots and a backup in case there is a problem with main water.

IMG-20111006-00002R.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks