Disposal P-trap too low for main drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

SherlockHolmes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and need plumbing advice. We installed a new undermount sink and a garbage disposal and our P-trap is too low for the main drain pipe (photo 1). However as you can see in the second photo with my laser level, we could potentially run the p-trap 2 feet straight across to where the lower point of the main drain is. This doesn't seem ideal as there would no longer be a downward slope but we just really don't want to have to pay for a plumber to bust up the sewer stack and adjust it.

Thoughts?

IMG-3208-min.JPG
IMG-3211-min.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Be rid of the disposal, or get the plumbing changed.

Putting food waste into the refuse is not hard.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same, get rid of the garbage disposal. Don't put garbage in your pipes.

My girlfriend gets so annoyed with me because I'm the disposal police at my house. "don't put that down there".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Same, get rid of the garbage disposal. Don't put garbage in your pipes.

My girlfriend gets so annoyed with me because I'm the disposal police at my house. "don't put that down there".
My brother put two years of unused food from the cupboards down the new disposer I had installed for him. It overheated and flipped the push-in breaker on the bottom. Put ice cubes in to cool it and continued putting more food in.
It's a 1907 home with 1-1/2" galvanized pipes in the crawl. I asked him
"What are you thinking?"
The garbage can was full. I wonder if his next plumbing emergency is getting someone to snake those old drains.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drain being higher than the outlet of the disposer means there will always be standing water in the disposer.
The deepest sinks we used to install used to be 8", and more were 7" deep. Our rough was 19" from the floor for those.
Now with undermount sinks being 10" deep or more, those old rough-in measurements no longer work. Plumbers are going with 16" to 14" from the floor now. On any new kitchen remodel now, we want to look at the existing rough-in and lower it if needed. That's before the new cabinets are installed. If that's not possible, then the sink needs to be looked at to make sure the one ordered is not too deep for the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks