disposal install

Users who are viewing this thread

dwv44

Reaction score
I'd like to install an under sink disposal. I've attempted to diagram this but it isn't exactly to scale... (note: "basement" is the basement ceiling)

My double stainless sink, each bowl is the same size:

I assume it is normal and relatively straight forward to install it on the left bowl, but I was wondering if I could do it on the right:

1. Does it look ok? The two 45 degree elbows might have to be a 30 (near the floor) and 60 to make the angle extreme enough to get the drain to fit under the disposal. (I hope those angles of elbows exist)

2. Would adding a trap between the disposal and the second sink's drain be helpful at all (cleaning blockages) or should it be a straight line? Could it be bad to add another trap? (gray in the 2nd picture)

3. I think the dispoal comes with a PVC drain. Is it right to glue it to ABS or is there a way to get a screw on connector to connect them?

WITB_essential.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
A lot needs to be fixed with the existing plumbing before a disposal is installed, IMHO.

The p-trap is way too far from the sinks and should be located directly below the sink. Right now it's an s-trap and am suprised doesn't already siphon itself allowing sewer gas to permeate the kitchen area.
Does the vent really make a steep angle like that¿
And what are you doing for electrical as well as the switch for the disposal. If not already there these things will be needed as well. Think it out carefully before advancing any further.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Forget about the disposer, because nothing about your drawings are correct. Once you get a proper drain, you can use a disposer or not, it makes no difference, nor does it matter which side you install the disposer.

dwv44

Reaction score
Perhaps because the drawings are not 3D it doesn't look riight. I'm not an artist. The vent/drain pipe is almost horizontal (but obviously tilting down toward the drain), just supposed to be going in/out of the picture (z-axis) but I can't draw that.

There are no sewer gasses. The trap is right below the floor. So 24" from the sink I would imagine.

Electrical box is already there for the dishwasher. Just plug in a disposal with the disposal plug kit. Yes it takes lots of power, but I don't use the dishwasher and disposal at the same time. Switch will be the sink top. This is all in a kitchen island.

So does the 60/30 elbow look ok? Would an extra trap be ok or bad? And pvc-to-abs glue is the right stuff to use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An inspector would never let that fly...as mentioned, you need to rearrange things. The trap arm can't be that long and meet code. The trap should be right under the sink and the vent must be there as well. In an island, there are several choices, but only one good one. What you have is not an acceptable one.

Two traps in-line is never allowed. Trapping each sink individually could be done, but isn't really necessary and complicates things somewhat in the confined space you have.

dwv44

Reaction score
Well it has been that way for 15 years. I just want a dispoal added, I have one hole in the floor for that drain pipe, so I can't make radical changes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

The concern that most have, is that your drain is not vented properly.
The trap should be on the same level as the fixture.

dwv44

Reaction score
The trap just happens to be a bit lower (in the basement ceiling aka. between main floor floor joists). Not great since it wouldn't be accessible if the basement was finished, but it looks pretty much the same in terms of functionality to me. The vent and drain seem to be in the same correct orientation as your drawing, they just happen to be in between the floor joists/basement ceiling joists (I assume it was done that way to save space under the sink? or because it was a straight line down to the hole in the floor and no place for a trap before that? who knows). It is an island so the vent can't just go straight up.

The vent vents out at a level above the trap. The drain eventually drains down to the main drain under the basement floor
This is not up to code. The trap should be on the same level as the fixure.
Not the floor below.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

In that case, just install the disposer wherever you want it and make a connection to the drain with the dishwasher into the disposer. Just be forewarned that you are going to get odors from that extensive length drain pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if any code allows the trap to be under the floor.
Don't know where you are, but a lot of state codes do not allow the dishwasher to be hooked up like that. ( Needs air gap). Your code may allow it, but the air gap is better.

dwv44

Reaction score
If someone would like to take my picture and make it work (with the disposal on the sink on the right) I'd love to see it... Remeber that it is an island.

I can replace the trap with an elbow and move the trap into the cabinet somewhere, but I'm not moving the hole in the floor. I can't think of any way to fit it all in there and do it "properly".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Why would we want to spend the time creating a new drawing? Island or no island, WE would not do it that way, and each of us would have his own preference as to how to make it correct, but none of us would do it like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks