Dishwasher waste water

Users who are viewing this thread

tarance_c

Reaction score
We are remodeling our kitchen. In doing so we are moving the dishwasher about 12 to 15 feet and around the corner from the sink. I have run power and hot water supply to the new location. I can easily run drain pipe down into the crawl space and to the kitchen sink waste line.

I thought there would be a specific piece of pvc that I could find at any hardware to hook a dishwasher up to if there was no sink and no garbage disposal. Well I was wrong.

If I have a drain pipe right behind the dishwasher with a P trap how would I connect the waste line from the dishwasher to the p trap? Second, Do I need a vent? If I do can I use one of the in wall vents that allows air in but no water out?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dan

tarance_c

Reaction score
None so far. The room is 10 feet wide and 12 feet long. The drain pipe for the sink is on the 10 foot wide wall and vents through the roof. From there the pipe goes into the crawl space and runs down the center of the room perpendicular to the 10 foot wall. I think it's 2 inch pipe.

The dish washer has to move to one of the 12 foot walls in order to make room for a U of cabinets. I was thinking of T ing off from the drain pipe in the crawl space about 6 feet from where the sink drain (which is vented) comes into the crawls space and running a 2 inch pvs up to behind the dishwasher. From there is where I am stumped.

I can put in a P trap but unsure how to tie in the dishwasher waste line and vent it if necessary.

Hope that is clear. I can try to draw something if needed.

Thanks
Dan

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Now it's a bigger query. The scope has increased. Now it's "Do I need another P trap now, or can I go around the U to connect my dishwasher at the sink P Trap?"

Advice on whether or not you could still connect at the sink will require a clear description or a floor plan.
If this produces a "no", then the next stage, advice on how to add a P trap, will require a drawing or two.

tarance_c

Reaction score
I have attached a picture of our kitchen layout. If I do run the waste water through the cabinets how would I replace the line if there was a problem?

The dishwasher is the blue item on the wall toward the top of the screen.

Attachments

• Kitchen_Layout.jpg
    Kitchen_Layout.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 689

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would be better to run the DW drain to the sink, possibly in the space under the cabinets. IF you install a separate drain and trap for the dishwasher you will need a vent for the trap, AND an air gap, at or above the countertop, for the DW drain hose so the sewage could not back up into the DW if the drain line were plugged.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
With some DW, when there is a long distance to travel to the DWV plumbing, you have to loop the drain hose high close to the DW, not close to the sink. Knowing this, I would use auto rad hose to send the DW drain water up high, and keep it just under the countertop while crossing over to the sink cabinet. A standpipe without P trap could be the indirect drain to receive the auto rad hose. Hope this helps. I don't know if you are required to use an air gap in Virginia. I don't know if your DW already has a high loop in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks