Dishwasher space too narrow despite measurements?

Users who are viewing this thread

ClawHammer

Reaction score
I'm installing a GE Profile dishwasher to replace an old one. The existing cabinet opening is 23-29/32" wide at the finished cabinet face, but slightly wider (a hair over 24") behind that "lip", on the inside of the cabinet. The installation instructions call for a 24" opening.

I can push the dishwasher all the way into place, but not with the side trim pieces (rubber strips) attached. In one video I watched online, the installer had a similar issue and decided leave off the trim pieces, but I'm concerned about doing that in my case because it would leave exposed a little of the cabinets' particle board (behind the finished face wood) when the dishwasher door is open -- not a good idea in such a moist environment, I would think -- and I can see a bit of the sound-dampening batting as well, leaving it looking unfinished.

One potential solution I considered is to pull the new appliance out of the way and use a router to shave off a tiny bit from the face wood around the opening, but even then I don't think I could insert the dishwasher with the side rubber trim pieces attached. Yet... the installation instructions seem to think I should be able to do this with only a 24" opening.

Your thoughts?

Edited to add the two photos, though you'll have to zoom quite a bit to be able to see anything. On the left side of the dishwasher, you can see a narrow strip of the particle board between the dishwasher and the finished face of the cabinets. On the right side, you can see the batting.

20220130_143302.jpg

20220130_143252.jpg

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A picture would help. I think the strips just go up to the face plate not passed it.

ClawHammer

Reaction score
A picture would help. I think the strips just go up to the face plate not passed it.
Thanks for the response, John. I attached a couple of photos to the original post. I'll add a couple of pics of the rubber trim after I reattach them. (It will take me a little while.) The trim pieces stick out like a flange from the side of the washer cabinet, and would fold in on themselves when the dishwasher is pushed into place. There doesn't seem to be room for the trim to fold on itself.

Edited to add photos of the left rubber trim piece. The first pic shows the trim piece attached to the dishwasher. The second pic shows me folding the trim piece back as illustrated in the installation instructions. The gap cannot accommodate the thickness of the folded trim. There is a chance I could fit it on one side, but not both.

How critical is the trim to sound dampening? I chose this model in large part because it's supposed to be super quiet.
How critical is the trim to protect the cabinet from moisture?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20220130_145326.jpg
    20220130_145326.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 20220130_145357.jpg
    20220130_145357.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

ClawHammer

Reaction score
I've had a tough time with the sides too. Some of the rubber strips seem too longish.
Thanks for your input, Terry. I edited my original post and my comment to John above to add photos and additional questions.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I honestly think those are for where they are needed. If you don't have the space then you don't have the space there's not much to do about it, unless you want to return the dishwasher and look into a different one.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The rubber strips are intended to fold and cover the wood. They're longish to accommodate a variety of depth that you might install the DW for variations in reveal. Might take some creativity.. maybe a very very flat blade to help shoehorn it into place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks