Dishwasher/Sink/Disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

shelly28

Reaction score
My dishwasher, sink, disposal are clogged somewhere. When I run the dishwasher, water backs up into the sink, if I run the sink long enough water ends up in the dishwasher, and the disposal is only humming it won't turn on.

I've cleaned out the basket in the dishwasher and tried using an allen wrench to turn the disposal (it will only turn about 30 degrees). What should I try next? My thought was to clean the p trap, but the set up under my sink is confusing me.

Thanks in advance

20160602_123234.jpg20160602_123242.jpg20160602_123248.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Sure, try cleaning that trap. That trap is not a normal trap, and if that is the cause of you clog, you can get that replaces with a P-trap. Get a tub/bin that will hold water under there before unscrewing.

If your trap cleaning does not get things going, expect a clogged pipe below where the white pipe goes into the wall. The typical spot of a clog is where that pipe changes from vertical to horizontal. Get it cleaned out. I guess you don't have a basement.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

You will need an Air-Gap on the counter to prevent sink water from flowing downhill to the dishwasher.
You may be able to get most of it with a high loop under the counter too.
Cut off the drum trap and use a new p-trap.
If the disposer is humming, it's most likely jammed. And...........that thing is very old and ready for replacement.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If your disposer, (NOT a Disposal), is not running, and has not for any length of time, it is probably clogged or rusted shut, and may have to be replaced. Until you get it running, there is no way to tell where the stoppage is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks