Dishwasher Hose Extension - Drainage Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

TomCan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a new dish washer (Kitchen Aid KDTE334DSS) in my home. The kitchen is really tiny so I had to install it next to the stove. Because there are no cabinets next to the DW I had to run the drain hose into the wall, about 10" down into the unfinished basement, along the basement ceiling and 10" back up into the cabinet next to the sink. From there I made a high loop under the countertop before the hose goes to down to the DW wye above the p-trap. The DW wye is 24" above the floor, the high loop 36". I'm using the official Kitchen Aid 12' drain hose, the hose is not kinked or sagging anywhere..

The problem is that I have water standing in the DW after each run. When I disconnect the drain hose from the wye adapter underneath the sink and start a drain cycle the DW is able to pump out all the water into a pail.

Does anybody know why the pump is not cabable to do that when the hose is connected to the DW wye?
By the way: I will eventually build a cabinet for the DW ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4324 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4324 (Large).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_4325 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4325 (Large).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
The DW drain line can't go down, then up and then down. It should go up (to form a high loop or to an air gap) from the DW and then down to the sink waste line. I bet residual water in the line after the DW pump stops, flows back into the DW under gravity.

TomCan

Reaction score
The DW drain line can't go down, then up and then down. It should go up (to form a high loop or to an air gap) from the DW and then down to the sink waste line. I bet residual water in the line after the DW pump stops, flows back into the DW under gravity.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't run the hose horizontally to the sink as you can see in the pictures. The surrounding walls are old exterior walls filled with saw dust so I don't want to open them up to run the hose through the wall since I don't have a cabinet next to the dw.

I still don't understand why the dw drains completely when disconnected from the wye underneath the sink. There are about 2-3 liters of water coming out of the drain hose when I let the dw pump it into a pail...

Another option for me could be a standing pipe in the basement which is basically right underneath where the dw is. Any thoughts about this?

Thank you all and a happy new year!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks