Dishwasher draining help please - multiple possibilities?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by brian502, Oct 13, 2021.

1. brian502

brian502 New Member

Hello,
    I'm interested in determining please where I could be able to drain my dishwasher please.

I'm attaching a photo of when my walls where open and have marked as a box roughly where my dishwasher is located.

To the right of the dishwasher is a corner cabinet and then the sink base cabinet along the right wall. The hose would end up being 12 feet. Is this distance okay? I could look into getting an extension hose if so.

If that 12ft distance is too great, other options include the washer drain pipe which already has a p trap in the wall, or the clean out access which I would need to add a p trap onto I assume.

What would I be looking at as my best option please?

brian502-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2021 at 6:27 PM
  2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Check the installation instructions of the dishwasher. I found an article that Kentucky uses is own plumbing code. Kentucky- Kentucky State Plumbing Code based on IPC precursor

I searched on "dishwasher" and this is not the right type of document. It's mostly definitions and approved type drain connections, etc.
    https://dhbc.ky.gov/Documents/2020 Kentucky Plumbing Law Regulations and Code Book.pdf

I'm not a plumber but the same question has come up before and the distance is usually not an issue. Either you need an air gap drain or a dishwasher connection at the tailpiece of the kitchen sink.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. John Gayewski

John Gayewski In the Trades

The dishwasher manufacturer would tell you the max distance you could run the hose.

Why are you putting the dishwater so far from the sink?

5. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

I think it will be okay. It will probably put more load on the pump than the dishwasher manufacturer intended, and thereby it could shorten the life of that pump, and possibly void the warranty if anyone actually noticed, but I doubt they would as the warranty repair guys often like to get paid without a problem.

I think I'd rather pump the 12 feet than tie into the washing machine drain. But I guess you could try to install a separate trapped standpipe and drain into that. I'd rather have the water back up into the sink if there's a clog. A kitchen sink can probably hold all the water from the entire cycle, but the standpipe definitely would not.