Dishwasher drain questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have two drain questions for the dishwasher and I have searched, but can't find clear answers, hoping someone can help.

My dishwasher, which I just replaced with a nice Bosch, drains into the garbage disposal and has an air gap. First, I don't like the air gap and want to install a soap dispenser in it's place – and I have no room to drill another hole for the dispensor. Second the disposal, a 20 year old waste king that I am replacing this week with a fancy insinkerator backs up because my family does not run the garbage disposal before washing the dishes and the dishwasher flows back up into the sinks because it cannot drain.

Q1: I would like to drain directly into the tail piece of one of the sink baskets with an adaptor tailpiece. The Bosch has good filters on it so I don't think big chunks of food will enter the waste line. Would I be better off draining into the tailpiece vs the disposal? It seems to me that would be better as I can never fix the problem of the family not running the disposal, but then I wonder why do dishwashers drain into disposals anyway? I have read it is to catch food, but the filters on my Bosch look really good. Is there a rational for what is better between the two? I always see them drain into disposals and rarely the tailpieces.

Q2: OK I hate air gaps and I don't care what the code says about them. I care more about safety and reality of what is acceptable, code aside. For most of my life I stayed alive with a high loop and never had a problem and now I have an airgap in my new house. Is the air gap really all that much safer than a loop and how does this change if it drains into the tailpiece vs the disposal? If it drains into the tailpiece and not the disposal is would have less change of backing up right?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without addressing your questions, I'd like to point out that there are soap dispenser air gap combos. Not sure how well the soap dispenser part works.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have a Bosch with a high loop and a dishwasher branch tee below the basket without the disposer. It works well. I love how the Bosch pumps water out before it fills with new water.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think I am going to try Terry's suggestion with the tailpiece and loop and see how that works out. Then I can avoid this constant business of cloggeed disposals

Modernwood

Reaction score
Did this work? My bosh 800 drains from an airgap into my new disposal and it's loud as hell. Looking for a solve.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes the air gap is safer. It really depends on how your pipes are connected as to how much safer they can be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks