Dishwasher drain questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Black

Reaction score
I am installing a dishwasher in a vintage kitchen and have some challenges with the drain. Basically, the dishwasher just needs to be connected to my sink drain. I'm wondering what my options are for attaching the 7/8" dishwasher drain hose. I would like the finished plumbing to be chrome-plated brass, like the existing plumbing. Here are some photos of the situation. The DW goes in the cabinet opening on the right.

20130512_230125-L.jpg

20130511_130646-L.jpg

The biggest concern I have is, looking at the left-side drain assembly, there isn't a lot of vertical distance between the left sink basket and the drain opening in the wall. All of the tailpieces with wye I've seen have the dishwasher inlet at least 2 inches down from the top of the tailpiece.

Instead of dropping the whole assembly and using the "normal" vertical tailpiece with DW inlet, someone gave me the idea of installing a dishwasher inlet on the horizontal tube connecting the 2 sinks. It goes like this: cut the horizontal tube in two places, use a slip joint tailpiece with a wye (cut to size)"
dishwasher-tailpiece-slipjoint-wye-chrome-lg.jpg

and then use a straight slip joint union to join it all together:
slipjoint-union-straight-chrome.jpg

What do you think of this idea? I have read (on this forum) that it doesn't matter how the DW drain is attached as long as it's before the ptrap. I have also read people's recommendations against this sort of horizontal alignment, and wondered why. What are your thoughts on this approach to my problem. Do you think the angle of the wye is great enough "encourage" the DW drain flow to go to the left to the ptrap instead of building up in the horizontal pipe and backing up into the right sink?

Option B: There is another cleanout/drain, under the right sink, that is capped off. There are no plumbing fixtures using the other drain/cleanout. It was once used by a sink in the bathroom overhead, which has been remodeled to use a different drain. Below the kitchen drain, it simply combines with the other drain pipes about 5 feet below. Given this, do you think it's reasonable or a bad idea to use this second drain for the DW drain? I could make a high loop to prevent backflow into the dishwasher by taking the drain hose from the dishwasher up high just under the counter top and then down to the right drain. Maybe there is some fitting I could use to directly connect the hose to the right drain. It would seem using the separate dedicated drain might provide better flow and affect the sink drain less so the sink could be used while the DW in operation.

Thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why would you need that slip coupling? The branch tee goes into the drain's vertical tee and the horizontal line goes into the end of it with the slip nut.

Tim Black

Reaction score
Good point, hj. You're right, I would only need the slip joint tailpiece with wye, and would have enough slip joints to connect everything together.

However, I am leaning towards Option B: using the other drain for dedicated DW drain. I think this will allow better simultaneous operation of sinks and DW. Basically, I would:
* remove cleanout plug - make sure there is enough clearance below to install a ptrap
* connect male-threaded adapter to slip/compression joint brass/chrome
* attach brass/chrome 17gauge ptrap to adapter
* attach tailpiece to end of ptrap and attach dw hose to tailpiece

I think I know what parts to use for most of this, except for the last one. What sort of part would I use to connect the Dw drain hose to the end of the ptrap?

Tim Black

Reaction score
Bump. Does anyone know how to connect a dishwasher drain hose to a dedicated p trap? Is there any sort of adapter that connects to standard 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" slip-joint tubing and reduces to a nipple that the drain hose is clamped onto?

Alternatively, I could just connect a standard tailpiece with DW wye to the p trap, then cap off the tailpiece. But how would I cap it off? Does this part exist?

Tim Black

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. Do I need the air gap if I'm using a high loop, AND the DW is a high-end Miele that "comes equipped with a built-in non-return valve on the discharge side to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwasher." I don't believe the state of Oregon requires an air gap.

So, maybe for backflow I don't need the air gap, but I can see your point about using/needing it for vacuum breaker. With "normal" DW installations using a vertical tailpiece wye, I guess the sink itself serves as vacuum breaker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The high loop will NOT prevent siphonage OUT of the machine, nor will the backflow/check valve They do not require it when you connect to the existing drain system but SHOULD for an independent connection.

Tim Black

Reaction score
HJ, it is not clear to me whether the "it" you refer to in your last sentence is the high loop or the air gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks