Dishwasher Drain in island without sink

Users who are viewing this thread

CorCon

Reaction score
Hello. Newbie here…
I’m converting a carriage house to a 2 BR, 2 bath apartment and they asked I look at the main house to assess some plumbing issues. The plumbing here is atrocious as it was a 2 family rental converted back to a single family. The DW hasn’t been used in some time because it wasn’t draining and the kitchen sink on a half wall was gurgling during use. Upon inspection, found a P trap under the sink with disposer with the DW drain hose tied in. 1 1/2” PVC was then trapped again in the basement. DW discharge is routed through the floor, extended, then back into sink base for tie in.

My plan is to remove the dishwasher drain from disposer and plug the inlet. Convert S trap to P trap with proper extension arm and add an AAV.
In the island, I have to remove pull out drawers from the cabinet adjacent to the DW to stub 1 1/2” in. Adding a sani tee at 10”+ AFF with trap and 18” standpipe, venting with aav around +/-33” to top of valve.
The question becomes…direct fitting to top of standpipe after high loop OR INDIRECT with high loop fastened and dumping in to standpipe similar to washing machine. High loop would be ~2” higher than standpipe termination. I’ve read through the forums and can’t find a suitable answer for this application without an air gap (not an option on a 26”x 50” island), Johnson tee isn’t an option, and vented loop isn’t the issue as it’ll have AAV.
Direct barbed fitting to trapped standpipe or indirect? The other thought was DW branched tailpiece on standpipe with tailpiece open at top below high loop, similar to the wye fitting on standpipe mentioned in some posts

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pvc air gap fitting won't work? If not you could get a backflow air gap and rig something up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks