Dishwasher Drain Hose Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jr24308

Reaction score
I am installing a new dishwasher and have run into a problem. The end of the dishwasher drain hose that fits onto the disposal inlet is 5/8" dia. but the disposal inlet is 7/8" dia. The fine folks at my local hardware store sold me an adapter that, when all was said and done, left me with a 5/8" to 5/8" connection. However, it turned out to be a female to female connection and that's just not going to work! I have been searching the web trying to find some sort of union to get these two together. I'm sure that my lack of success has to do with me being a complete plumbing neophyte and I'm certain that I'm now asking the right people for help. So, HELP please!!!

Thanks,
Joe

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The end of that hose is supposed to connect to an air gap that should be located on the top of your sink next to the faucet. From there you connect to the garbage disposal or a y-tail piece and go through the sink trap.

Depending what you do to adapt, a short copper nipple can be made to adapt the hoses.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just get a dishwasher drain connector like the one pictured. When you're done connecting to the disposal, you need to raise the hose up to as high as you can to prevent dirty water from backing up into your dishwasher.

Attachments

• Dishwasher drain connector.jpg
    Dishwasher drain connector.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,156

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, it's done that way, and it's wrong, but from where I sit your creating a possible cross connection or a possible back flow, but it's yours and you can do it any old way or the right way.

Ask someone else why you should use an air-gap.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Yes, it's done that way, and it's wrong, but from where I sit your creating a possible cross connection or a possible back flow, but it's yours and you can do it any old way or the right way.

Ask someone else why you should use an air-gap.

We've had this discussion numerous times on this forum and people are not going to change their views on the subject. It's pretty much split right down the middle on the need to install an airgap for a dishwasher in a residential setting. Licensed plumbers like Master Plumber Mark, Speedball1, and Gary Swart (I think Gary's licensed) are in agreement with me, so it's not just hacks like me who feel this way.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks