Dishwasher Drain Hose - is this connection correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

SueBSouth

TOTALLY PERSISTENT DIY-er
Reaction score
We purchased this house in June. I noticed that sometimes when we run the dishwasher, there is a sewer like smell. Something I know is not a happy, healthy thing to smell!
I started researching dishwashers and backflow online and came across articles on the necessity of a high loop on the drain hose.
So, here is the scene under my sink. Shouldn't that grey hose coming from the dishwasher on the left and connecting to the disposal on its right side, have a loop in it? Would this be the origin of the odors? (and do I even want to know ~ pushing wastewater from the dishwasher and/or disposal back into the dishwasher?) From what I have seen online, even the entry point of the drain hose looks too high.
All that being said, how would we hang the hose under the sink? I have been searching for some kind of hanger but no luck. As for the point at which the hose should be looped upward, would it be at the RED arrow in my photo, or the GREEN arrow? Or neither?
Thanks - any help appreciated!
rsz_drain_hose.jpg

Attachments

• 20180114_151131.jpg
    20180114_151131.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 379

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes where the green arrow is, whenever the garbage disposer runs or you dump a full sink of water on that side
it runs into the dishwasher hose, and then when you run the dishwasher that water runs back into the drain and yes it could run back into the dishwasher !

Reach4

Reaction score
The high point would be be about directly above where the low point is now.

Hanger? You could look for pipe hangers, but you may be able to use nylon wire ties. You would want to see what is available to tie up to.

SueBSouth

Reaction score
Yes where the green arrow is, whenever the garbage disposer runs or you dump a full sink of water on that side
it runs into the dishwasher hose, and then when you run the dishwasher that water runs back into the drain and yes it could run back into the dishwasher !
Thank you for that quick response! So...we should pull the hose upward at the point where my green arrow is indicating, but what do we use to hang it? And where might we find such a part? MUCH appreciated!!

SueBSouth

Reaction score
The high point would be be about directly above where the low point is now.

Hanger? You could look for pipe hangers, but you may be able to use nylon wire ties. You would want to see what is available to tie up to.
Thanks, you were answering my question while I was typing it!! I see the clip attaching the sink to the countertop; perhaps we could carefully slip a wire tie under that...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use an air gap (code in my city) which is installed on top of the sink, the DW discharge hose connects to it from under the sink and from the air gap there is a hose to the GD.

SueBSouth

Reaction score
Update: I was able to use some wire-wrapping wire and snake it under the sink clip and twist it into a "cradle" to hold the hose [photo with pink arrows showing clip, but not wire], then ran a RINSE cycle. At first blast, it smelled worse! But then I realised that the hose dipped down and then back up to the disposal. I did see a good stream of water coming into the disposal. So next I took the remainder of the hose and really "McGivvered" it by holding the hose to the side of the sink bowl with heavy duty adhesive backed hook & loop (aka Velcro, 2nd photo). Ran another RINSE cycle but the water didn't blast through the hose (I was holding it to feel the flow) or into the disposal this time, but it did not smell either. There wasn't water standing in the bottom of the dishwasher, so it did exit.
Tomorrow or so we should have enough to run a regular load. Fingers crossed that this is the fix. If not I think we need to buy a replacement hose that is longer.

BTW, dj2...with a double bowl s/s sink undermount in granite, I don't have any way of installing an Air Gap, also, it is not code here.
Inked20180115_110712_LI.jpg
20180115_112923.jpg

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We purchased this house in June. I noticed that sometimes when we run the dishwasher, there is a sewer like smell. Something I know is not a happy, healthy thing to smell!
I started researching dishwashers and backflow online and came across articles on the necessity of a high loop on the drain hose.
So, here is the scene under my sink. Shouldn't that grey hose coming from the dishwasher on the left and connecting to the disposal on its right side, have a loop in it? Would this be the origin of the odors? (and do I even want to know ~ pushing wastewater from the dishwasher and/or disposal back into the dishwasher?) From what I have seen online, even the entry point of the drain hose looks too high.
All that being said, how would we hang the hose under the sink? I have been searching for some kind of hanger but no luck. As for the point at which the hose should be looped upward, would it be at the RED arrow in my photo, or the GREEN arrow? Or neither?
Thanks - any help appreciated!View attachment 44044

just use a zip-tie to tie that grey waste line up as high as you can strap it (maybe strap it to the sink clips)

Highlander

Reaction score
Now that the hose is routed properly, I’d run the dishwasher with one of those “dishwasher cleaner” products (Finish/Affresh/other brands) to help flush the hose out.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now that the hose is routed properly, I’d run the dishwasher with one of those “dishwasher cleaner” products (Finish/Affresh/other brands) to help flush the hose out.
Good idea highlander. I avoid all those self-clear pre-packaged products because most of them are B.S. and do a poor job. But those Dishwasher auto-cleans, I've beeen pretty happy with the results

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks