Dishwasher does not roll-out

Users who are viewing this thread

michael k

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of remodeling, and discovered once the countertop was installed I was unable to roll out the dishwasher from under the countertop...?

The dishwasher is now surrounded by the:
- countertop
- under sink cabinet on the left
- cabinet of drawers on the right
- and the floor.

The dishwasher hoses are not hooked up yet and the false "cabinet" face has not been mounted to the dishwasher door; so I also cannot open the dishwasher door or hook up the hoses.

1. Can you identify the problem as to why I cannot roll the dishwasher out?
2. Can you also suggest how I can remedy this problem.

Thank you for helping me out here.

Michael (not a handyman.)

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Michael,
most dishwashers fasten to the underside of the counter top, so they don't tip when you open the door.
My son's fastened on the side to the adjacent cabinets, for the same reason.
If the floor was installed after the dishwasher you may have to adjust the legs so that you can pull out the washer.
I don't understand your statement about not being able to open the dishwaher door.
david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without seeing it, I'd guess that someone installed a new floor, making it higher than it was, and the DW will no longer come out of the space. Or, the counter was replaced. This isn't the first instance of a trapped appliance. How to fix it, you'd have to be there to see. Maybe a picture would help, but it's likely to call for local help. And, it may call for destroying some stuff.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
I have seen this many times (I am appliance serviceman). Usually from a new floor being put in without taking the dishwasher out to put at least the new subfloor under the dishwasher. 2 choices take the counter top off remove the dishwasher put in a floor that is as high as current floor then reinstall. Try to either screw the dishwasher leveling legs up (if there is room) and try to pull the dishwasher out trying not to damage the floor.Depending on how high up your floor is choice 2 is sometimes impossible. Your likely going to have to take the counter loose. A note for all your flooring guys TAKE THE DISHWASHER OUT WHEN DOING A KITCHEN FLOOR. While it costs more on the initial install it doesn't compare to the cost when you have to take the counter off to service or replace the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks