Dishwasher discharge hookup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Wallace

Reaction score
I live in Vermont and I'm on a private septic system. When I went to change out my dishwasher for a new one, I discovered that the drain went directly into the waste pipe without a trap. What they did was tap into the waste pipe in the basement with a 1" branch line and ran it through the floor under the dishwasher. They took a regular dishwasher discharge hose looped it up behind the dishwasher and into the waste pipe extention. I have lived in the house over 10 years and never smelled sewer gas. Now that I know about it, I'm wondering if this set up is OK or if I
should run the discharge hose into the kitchen sink drain above the trap and cap off the old drain pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks