Dishwasher away from sink..

Users who are viewing this thread

Dolviolex

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m tearing my hair out over my new dishwasher install. Conflicting info online and I’ve decided to post this.

My dishwasher is a corner sink and a 12 inch cabinet away. I have ordered a longer drain hose but I’m not sure what’s the best way to run the drain line. I’ve attached two pictures. One with a high loop close to the D/W and then one with the high loop under the sink. I’ve got holes drilled for both. Please help with the beat and most correct way to run this drain hose. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• C3D33EBA-395F-4C5C-A5C6-87809453739F.jpeg
    C3D33EBA-395F-4C5C-A5C6-87809453739F.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 2187B4BE-9AAA-4B39-850F-B6A3CD1F605F.jpeg
    2187B4BE-9AAA-4B39-850F-B6A3CD1F605F.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
possibly but either way you got 35 inches of water in hose just like always. whichever appears neater its being pumped dont see issue with it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We don’t really use air gaps here. Just a high loop....

Agree with Terry but figured you wouldnt want air gap . I always use one except when homeowner demands I omit it and then I explain why and that its not legal here.
Oh missed your post yes this is the better more correct way to do it in my opinion.

Dolviolex

Reaction score
Agree with Terry but figured you wouldnt want air gap . I always use one except when homeowner demands I omit it and then I explain why and that its not legal here.
Oh missed your post yes this is the better more correct way to do it in my opinion.

sorry... which way is the best...? Thanks again for the help guys.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I had the exact layout in my kitchen after a remodel. I went low through the cabinets and then looped it high. All dishwashers that I have seen have the drain hose looped high on the back of the DW and it then runs out from the bottom. I find the lower route through the cabinets is much easier to push dishwasher into its space or on the removal. You can reach under it to push or pull on the drain hose so as it doesn't get pinched or snagged on something. Everyone may have their preference but there's really no wrong way.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I interesting on one of the plumbing tests I took they asked what is the difference of air gap and air break

Air gap is normally for water supply ..The space from the bottom of the faucet to the sink or on cooling towers a 2" ball cock set 4" above the over flow same with roof tanks used for water /fire suppression

Air break is drainage such as indirect from a kitchen sink to a grease trap or ice maker to a fixture in the basement

I went to court decades ago as a plumber was being sued and his law firm hired me to be an expert witness for his installation of a dishwasher

I contacted the DW manufacturer and had them send me a letter stating the DW already had an air gap for the water supply internally

Then I explained at the deposition that there cannot be back flow if there is an air gap as the waste would show up in the sink if there was any stoppage down stream and the waste water would not reach the air gap

After the deposition the case never went to court and the plumber just had pay the legal fees

Shame in America if someone is sued and they are proven innocent they cannot collect what they were being sued for

This would put an end to this crap

If they sue for $500,000 and lose they should pay $500,000 to cover mental anguish, legal fees and loss of income etc.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I interesting on one of the plumbing tests I took they asked what is the difference of air gap and air break

Air gap is normally for water supply ..The space from the bottom of the faucet to the sink or on cooling towers a 2" ball cock set 4" above the over flow same with roof tanks used for water /fire suppression

Air break is drainage such as indirect from a kitchen sink to a grease trap or ice maker to a fixture in the basement

I went to court decades ago as a plumber was being sued and his law firm hired me to be an expert witness for his installation of a dishwasher

I contacted the DW manufacturer and had them send me a letter stating the DW already had an air gap for the water supply internally

Then I explained at the deposition that there cannot be back flow if there is an air gap as the waste would show up in the sink if there was any stoppage down stream and the waste water would not reach the air gap

After the deposition the case never went to court and the plumber just had pay the legal fees

Shame in America if someone is sued and they are proven innocent they cannot collect what they were being sued for

This would put an end to this crap

If they sue for $500,000 and lose they should pay $500,000 to cover mental anguish, legal fees and loss of income etc.

Im not sure Im understanding but my assumption was the airgap in D/W waste line was to protect dirty water from entering the dishes , I hadent considered the water supply getting contaminated or at least that wasent the primary reason.
It would be a totaly differant legal system if loser had to pay fees of winner in court, you could be injured loose a ton of money on Dr bills and then if unable to proove guilt on other side pay his lawyer and of cource your own. But hey Im ok with that I lose every time I go to court as it is!
As soon as I hear " Defendant Rise" I know im in big trouble ha ha

Dolviolex

Reaction score

Hey Jeff,

Which was the most correct way to run the line?

thanks!

Dolviolex

Reaction score
Would this be good enough for a high loop under the sink? The highest point is 20 inches from the cabinet bottom.

Attachments

• 6838DE7B-D6BA-4529-94C7-138CC9733B97.jpeg
    6838DE7B-D6BA-4529-94C7-138CC9733B97.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 224

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Im not sure Im understanding but my assumption was the airgap in D/W waste line was to protect dirty water from entering the dishes , I hadent considered the water supply getting contaminated or at least that wasent the primary reason.

An air gap,, is the unobstructed vertical space between the water outlet and the flood level of a fixture. ... This arrangement will prevent any contaminants in the sink from flowing into the potable water system by siphonage and is the least expensive form of backflow prevention.

It is like a ballcocks vacuum breaker for the fixture or in this case an appliance to have a stoppage as long as it does not compromise the water supply

An air break is an indirect connection of a drain line to the drainage system where the drain line terminates below flood level. ...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see why the OP is so confused.
OP, do it like Terry suggested, that's they way we do it.
Use the diagram as a guide.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey there. We don’t use air gaps where I am from.. or did you mean running low them high under the sink?
As I read the posts, everybody is suggesting the low road into the sink area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks