Disgusting Viscous Liquid Discharge from Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Jac

Reaction score
CrownHeater_Gloop from Valve.JPG
CrownHeater_Gloop from Valve2.JPG
CrownHeater_Valve.JPG

We had a brand new Maxi-Therm indirect hot water heater from Crown Boiler Co. installed in March 2017. It is heated by an oil fed furnace. As stated by the Co. "Both the tank and the internal coil are coated with a porcelain enamel... The tank also contains three sacrificial anode rods... Combined with two inches of CFC-free foam insulation all around the tank..."

The relief valve was recently opened and out came a disgusting off-white viscous liquid. The consistency is thick, like adding syrup to water - not at all fluid like water. See photos. We took a sample to a lab to be tested, they said they had never seen anything like it before. We await the results.

Please could someone let us know if you have heard of this problem as we are concerned that this liquid might be dangerous to our health. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
The photos look less alarming than your description. Let the glass sit 24 hours undisturbed, and take another photo.

EDIT: About this viscous thing... Are you sure you aren't exaggerating a bit?It has become obvious that this was not an exaggeration.

On an indirect water heater, is that T+P valve on the hot side from the boiler? I would think so, but I don't know how those are. But if the sample is from the hotter part, that is isolated from the part that goes to your faucets.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
The photos look less alarming than your description. Let the glass sit 24 hours undisturbed, and take another photo.

About this viscous thing... Are you sure you aren't exaggerating a bit?

On an indirect water heater, is that T+P valve on the hot side from the boiler? I would think so, but I don't know how those are. But if the sample is from the hotter part, that is isolated from the part that goes to your faucets.

Thanks, back in 24 with photo.

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look at the link below. This might be why you are experiencing a slimy substance in your tank. It could be a by product of the anode. Read the info in the link especially the section near the bottom titled: Why We Don't Like Aluminum Anodes
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html
Wow! here is the surprising text you are referring to:
  • Second, it produces about a thousand times its original volume in corrosion byproduct, most of which falls into the bottom of the tank as a sort of jelly, and adds to sediment buildup there.
One good thing, such a compound would not be dangerous for washing. It would not ingest it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018 says
The hypothesis that Al significantly contributes to AD is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD.​

Jac, I use a powered anode. It protects like magnesium, but it does not provide chemicals for reactions. But it is much more expensive than a conventional anode (it is now $257 for one like mine with the long titanium electrode). I expect to move mine to my next WH.

WH flushing can be done different ways. The simplest is to
1. Turn off the water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn the water and WH back on. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.​

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would not drink that stuff if I were you...
I have seen much worse and have always
wondered if bathing in this tank full of hot water
with this crap at the bottom was healthy.....

That stuff looks common to most water heaters and boilers..
If you put a garden hose on that faucet and ran it full force for a few minutes every few months
it would probably keep the unit clean of this problem....

So do you have a water softener to cut down
the minerals in your water???

I like this picture .... its kind of a blue or aqua-marine sort of color....

o (4).jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What temperature do you keep the WH? If it's organic verses a chemical reaction, running the tank at a higher temperature will kill most things. Let us know what the test people say it is...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
What temperature do you keep the WH? If it's organic verses a chemical reaction, running the tank at a higher temperature will kill most things. Let us know what the test people say it is...

they claim that legionairres disease can happen if you do not have the heat set up high enough to kill
off microbes .... With the temp too low you basically have an Aquarium going on and everything can grow
in those lower temps....

Reach4

Reaction score
The relief valve was recently opened and out came a disgusting off-white viscous liquid.
As far as I can see, the specific gravity of aluminum hydroxide gel would be well over one... it should sink. The relief valve is at the top. Did you mean the drain valve?

Jac

Reaction score

Jac

Reaction score
Wow! here is the surprising text you are referring to:
  • Second, it produces about a thousand times its original volume in corrosion byproduct, most of which falls into the bottom of the tank as a sort of jelly, and adds to sediment buildup there.
One good thing, such a compound would not be dangerous for washing. It would not ingest it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018 says
The hypothesis that Al significantly contributes to AD is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD.​

Jac, I use a powered anode. It protects like magnesium, but it does not provide chemicals for reactions. But it is much more expensive than a conventional anode (it is now $257 for one like mine with the long titanium electrode). I expect to move mine to my next WH.

WH flushing can be done different ways. The simplest is to
1. Turn off the water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn the water and WH back on. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.​

Reach4, many thanks for all your info and links which I read. We don't have soft water and we are waiting to see what the pH test result is. This old gal of 59 will look at all the facts when the tests come in to decide what to do. If we can't get magnesium anodes to replace the aluminum ones (although when I looked at the Crown Boiler site, nowhere did it say what the anodes are made of), perhaps we'll replace this new heater with another new one that has magnesium ones. (Sucks).

Jac

Reaction score

The temperature is set at 110. Will let you know test results.

Jac

Reaction score
I would not drink that stuff if I were you...
I have seen much worse and have always
wondered if bathing in this tank full of hot water
with this crap at the bottom was healthy.....

That stuff looks common to most water heaters and boilers..
If you put a garden hose on that faucet and ran it full force for a few minutes every few months
it would probably keep the unit clean of this problem....

So do you have a water softener to cut down
the minerals in your water???

I like this picture .... its kind of a blue or aqua-marine sort of color....

View attachment 41135

Love your photo Mark - exactly the same gloop that we have! We have no water softener. The health factors are very real and it's too bad that not more people know about it. Thanks for the input.

Jac

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Recommend that you set your WH temp to at least 120-degrees. You can set it higher, but you will need to add a tempering valve to limit the output. Where I live, it's required to install a tempering valve on any WH installation. Lower than that, and it tends to grow all sorts of things organic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks