Discussion: Compensating SFR for high hardness water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
SFR (Service Flow Rate) is a number of how much flow you can put through a softener while maintaining good softening.

While I cannot point to documentation, common sense to me says that with high-hardness water, more time in contact with the resin ought to be better. So it seems to me the SFR numbers should take into account the hardness. Yet I cannot find a reference to that. http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm says

The constant SFR gpm of most softeners is: 1.0' cuft = 9, 1.25' = 10, 1.5' = 12, 2.0' = 13, 2.5' = 18, 3.0' = 20, 3.5' = 22 gpm, 4.0 = 25 etc..​

I am suspecting those figures are a simplification in that if you had 100 grains of hardness, a given softener could not soften to less than one grain of hardness at the same flow rate as it could at 7 GPM. I understand that a single number is much more user friendly, at some point a compensation factor would seem to be called for.

Comments?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yes and no. For 99%of applications it does not matter. For the 1% of the time that it does matter we use a totally different design anyways. This is more of a training seminar topic rather than a DIY forum topic. This particular topic takes up about 35-45 minutes of an 8 hour training seminar and focuses more on the commercial/industrial aspects of water conditioning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks