Disconnecting the hose at the sprinkler head barbed fitting.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Hey,

I need to tap into an existing circuit to feed water to a small flower garden.

The plan is to install a T below an existing head. To do that I need to remove the existing 90 degree fitting and replace it with a T. I would like to avoid shortening the Head hose, or digging it up entirely.

Is there an easy way to get the barb 90 fitting off the hose, and not shorten the hose?

How about: Split the hose to remove the 90, then add a clamp over the split portion? Anything else?

Thanks,

Rog

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Once you split the pipe, isn't useless?
You might be able to remove the fitting by warming up the pipe some. I'm guessing that you will have to cut back though and add the fitting farther back.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If this is the type of fitting you're dealing with they are almost impossible to pull out of the irrigation flex pipe or hose. The pipe is very thick and I'm not sure of heat would work since the pipe is more like a heavy foam than a sold rubber or vinyl. Since moving to Florida 27 years ago I've worked on a lot of irrigations systems and this are used almost everywhere. The few times I was able to remove one of these is you have to really be able to grab the pipe and then try is remove the fitting by trying to make a 90 degree bend by hand and twisting at the same time. However even when I worked with new connections and I had to redo the connection because the it was too long, etc. I always cut the pipe at the every edge of the fitting. sometimes cut through the fitting and use a screwdriver to pry out the remainder piece. If it happen to be my last fitting and to save a trip to the store, I would cut the pipe along the barb of the fitting with a sharp utility knife and pry it off. Then cut the pipe back about 3/4 of an inch.
upload_2017-5-15_3-18-48.png upload_2017-5-15_3-37-58.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks