Disaster Preparation-drinking water

Users who are viewing this thread

cowboy

Reaction score
The recent disaster in the Gulf area has me thinking about making preparations.
Specifically having water available. My question is about connecting a water pressure tank to city water. I know that I would not have any water pressure; however, my main concern would be having a supply of fresh water.
I have a whole house water filter. I've added a 2nd drinking water filter at the end of the line which connects to the ice maker and a drinking water faucet on the kitchen sink. I would tap the line after the filter and route the water through the pressure tank then continue the line on to the kitchen sink. The water in the tank would be continually replenished to keep it fresh. I would use the main shut-off to isolate my house (in the event of an emergency) from city water. If I use a back-flow preventor on the water inlet connection and I keep the tank pressurized using a 12-volt compressor then I should be able to get drinking water from my kitchen sink. I could also install a spicket that would be lower than the tank so that I could fill drinking water containers.
My queston is to find out if a standard (basic) pressure tank could be installed on a city water line? Thanks George

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
water

Where I come from, you can't cross connect systems.
It's illegal.
It's a possible contamination of the city system.
Keep your well system divorced from the community and run a separate line for drinking or watering.
Call the building department in your area and find out............

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
plumber

the wording is a little confusing. i believe he would be adding a large holding tank in his home,if so, how would this be cross contamination? it,s done with well holding tank,s all the time

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are beating yourself up here.

you are going to way too much trouble,,,,

you do have a well, correct...right????

if you already have a well, just get a HONDA generator
that would do 220 volt to power the pump....in case the power
were to shut down, then you got both power for your house
and water covered..
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If not

If you dont have a well, then most people would consider the water heater
a source of drinking water too..Why not just install an extra holding tank
like a water heater in line with the one you already have???

It would sort of pre heat the water to room temp before it would go into the
normal heater....

you never know when an event out of the norm might happen

ie.... earthquake, nuke balst, fire and brimstone from heaven,
alien invasion, ect ...

or just a very extra brutal winter.... 15 foot drifts.

it depends all on how much money you want to sink into it...

their are lots of people who would like to sell you their freeze dried

Y2k foods leftovers, before they spoil...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
People aren't reading your original post carefully...

The pressure tank typically doesn't hold much water. It is pressurized by the water pressure - there is no other external device to provide pressure to the stored water. As it empties, (caused by the bladder pushing back on the water), the pressure drops until either all of the water is expelled from the tank and there is nothing left, or there isn't enough pressure to push it through your pipes up to the faucet that allowed the flow.

If you cut off the incoming water before the system pressure dropped, that water stored in the pressure tank could provide water for your house for a short time (these things aren't typically very big), otherwise, unless there was a one-way valve, you would push thatwater back into the city mains.

You could have a storage tanks, similar to the hot water tank, but no heater, installed with a pump, too. Then, you'd at least have pressure until all of the tank was emptied. You could make the tank as big as you had room. You'd only run the pump once power was off to the water system (which typically has power longer than your house does). Often, even if the water company loses power, the water in the surrounding water towers will keep an area in water for a day or so.

Much easier to store some cases of bottled water. My unprofessional opinion.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My theory on disasters is I want to LIVE through it. Anything beyond that is gravy. My plan involves (A) we keep between 70 and 100 1/2 liter bottles of drinking water on hand at all times. We drink this, so the supply is constantly refreshed. This would keep us alive for a long time. (B) I or my wife would shut the inlet to the WH. This would perserve 40 gallons, which would be available through the drain valve for sponge baths, etc. (C) We would quickly fill the tub with water if the city main is not immediately lost. This would give many toilet flushes via bucket brigade. If the sewers dont work it will not be pretty.

Toolaholic

Reaction score
my plan

i have a 3 ft. overhang 20 ft. long behind my garage. i will pour a slab and enclose with multi doors. there will be at least 20 cases of water and other food supplies. we also have a 33ft motor home. we live about 25 milesN. W. OF S. F. this has been a wake up call!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
back to the 50s

their a re lots of 1950 bobm shelters all over
the country still waiting and ready to go.....

Lots of bottled water is good idea, a second water heater as a stand by back up is over kill, I suppose...

whatever makes you feel safe and secure.......
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about all this has gave me a sudden realization....

I used to be into all this kind of stuff about 20 years ago......

I had plenty of AMMO and weeapons,,
about 6 sub zero sleeping bags a little freeze dried food ect...

but now that I have been married for 15 years,
its just not a big issue with me anymore....

Marriage and my wife have cured me of my fear of death and disaster!!!!!!

I say --- BRING IT ON---

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
dare I say that even for PLUMBERS disasters are difficult to prepare for... they are going to catch everyone off guard, that's why they are disastrous. My local disaster? Tsunami... we can only do what we can do, and it's much easier to joke with this kind of unease when we're not having to cope with it in the moment. It's funny how the actual scope of "plumbing" is what creates the actual disaster during these times, it makes me feel very sad that I could be doing more out there, but am not :(
Called the Red Cross, they said I could not provide professional plumbing aid because I do not have the human trauma experience.

Toolaholic

Reaction score
That Tankless Water Heater Isn,t Going To Give You

30,40 50 or 75 gals. of drinking water. my hot tub is also good for flushing and bathing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks