Dirty water in house clean at well

Users who are viewing this thread

Airedale

Reaction score
Hi, I have noticeable dirty water at my house, it is reddish brown coming from the faucets. I have a well that is 400' deep. I called a well company who told me to run water directly from the well to clean out the well and it should take care of the problem. I turned on the valve directly at the well and the water is clear. I drained the pressure tank and that water was clear. I closed the valved at the pump and then drained the house of the dirty water and then opened the valve and ran the water at the house and still have dirty water. I have plenty of water, just dirty water between the house and the well. The pipe from the well to the house is black plastic and the house pipes are copper. I have walked the water line and I have not found any evidence of a leak in the pipe. I have looked at other posts so I hope I have given you enough information to answer this question. Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water at the well is clean but dirty at the house, the lines and/or the pressure tank must be the problem. It is hard to get stuff out of the lines. You have to run enough volume to flush them good. Does the pressure tank have a bladder or not?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you have dissolved iron in the water. Draw the clear water into a white pail and let it sit for a while to give the iron time to oxidize. If it does, you have an iron problem.

Airedale

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, I ran the water from the hose and faucets at the house for 30 mins and the water cleared however after 10 mins the water was reddish brown again. I live in central VA and our soil is red clay. I am unsure if there is a bladder in the pressure tank, but I ran water directly from the pressure tank and it was clear, the pressure tank is in the well house. Not sure what oxidize is but when I let the water sit, the sediment looks like red clay so I am not sure I could tell the difference between the soil and rust. I have a well company coming to look at things tomorrow (just an evaluation). but I will be checking back for further information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks