Dirty water from Garbage Disposal to Dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Misssunshine

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time on this forum and I would really appreciate any advice.

The garbage disposal was filled up with water (to wash dishes) and emptied (without being turned on)- and dirty water started to appear at the bottom of the dishwasher. There is no other issue (no blockage or water leaks, the dishwasher works great). Please note that the dishwasher is not being used when the water appears.

So I run water in the garbage disposal (cold and hot water), I turned it on with water and it was fine, zero blockage or issue. As a precaution I used a cleaning foam sachet to clear any debris (no issue). I also put some sink unbocker in the regular sink. No issue (before or after). I ran the dishwasher on the hotest cycle with a cleaner. It works great (before and after) and had no water at the bottom.

There is no air gap. The drain hose (dishwasher-garbage disposal) is "looped" properly.

Two weeks later, the garbage disposal was used (filled up with a lot of water and not turned on) and now there is dirty water at the bottom of the dishwasher though much less than before.

Any suggestion? Is it because the garbage disposal is not turned on when water goes? Too much water at once? Is it really meant to be filled up with water and used a regular sink? Any help would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any suggestion?
You have a clogged drain line I think. Get that cleared. The elbow below the sanitary tee would be a common place for a clog.

I don't know what other problem you might have.

An air gap would have prevented that passage of water, but you would still have the clogged drain. Maybe you could loop your high loop higher.

I am not a plumber.

Misssunshine

Reaction score
kitchen sink.jpg
kitchen sink 2.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
I agree the loop could be higher. The hose should not be drooping before the high loop. Your drain is also not plumbed correctly but probably not related to your current problem.

There is also usually a check valve underneath the dishwasher that is meant to prevent this backflow from happening.

Misssunshine

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try and make sure the loop is a bit higher and install an air gap and check the drain pipe. Thank you very much for your input, it's much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that white plastic at the pipe at the green 2? If so, you can shine a flashlight from one side and look at the other, and you can see the water level in that trap arm.

I suspect the arm is not going to empty out right away when you use water, and it should empty out right after the water stops going thru. Plus, when the water is flowing, the water should not fill up the trap arm.

img_3.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's visible looks like fairly new galvanized for the trap arm going into the wall (?). But, whatever is inside of the wall, if it's galvanized and older, could be quite corroded, and thus have a partial blockage. Can't tell from the photo, but does that trap arm have any slope to it? It should slope down to the fitting in the wall slightly.

After the sink or DW drains, there should not be any standing liquid/waste IN the disposer...is there?

Reaction score
You should be running your disposal if it is filling up with water. If you want to use that side of the sink as a basin, use a sink plug, don't rely on water backup from the disposal. There should be one sized for the drain going into the disposal. Waiting until the disposal fills up with crud to start it is hard on the motor and asking for a jam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks