Dirty Hot Water - grease like substance

Users who are viewing this thread

riksvsreward

Reaction score
Just bought a 1960's house. It has a Grundfos UP 15-18 recirculation pump in the line. Notice when I run hot water in any of the tubs, little particles of grease float to the top of the water. When I unplug the pump, no grease. When I bought the house, the main water line was turned off and the pump was plugged in (which I heard is not generally a good idea). Is it possible that the pump broke and is leaking grease into the hot water line or is there another explanation. Any help greatly appreciated. I did drain the water heater a few times prior to discovering the link to the recirculation pump.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is magnesium sulfide caused by a reaction of your water with the magnesium anode rod in your water heater. Replace the anode with an aluminum one.

riksvsreward

Reaction score
Water heater the cause???

Thanks - the water heater close to 15 years old and that was the first thought and still probably will replace. But if it is the water heater, why when I unplug the recirculation pump, I get hot water without the grease? I just didn't want to replace the heater and then still have the same problem. Thanks again for any advice.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about replacing the water heater... I was saying replace the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum one. However at 15 years old replacement is certainly on the table. A new water heater will come with a magnesium anode which you will probably need to change out.

riksvsreward

Reaction score
Recirculation pump

So either way if I replace the rod or the entire heater, you think that will eliminate the problem and that it is not the recirculation pump?. I still don't understand why when I unplug the recirculation pump there is none of the greasy substance.

Thanks again,

riksvsreward

Reaction score
got it, thanks so much

I will search the forum more regarding the best type of heater to get. Have a great rest of the day.

riksvsreward

Reaction score
Water heater

Looking for gas - right now have 40 gallon and probably looking to increase to 75. We have 3 baths, one a jacuzzi and seems like my wife is always running the dishwasher and/or washing machine. One plumber friend said he would recommend going with the tankless but I am seeing lots of controversy on it and just want to get something that works and doesn't have grease particles in the hot water so I can actually start taking a bath.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As far as buying a gas water heater there are 2 brands that I would consider having installed and they would be Bradford White & Rheem (GE). Since your last water heater there has been a safety modification that was mandated. This modification is referred to as FVIR and only these 2 really got it right!

Look on this forum for the tale of woe regarding Whirlpool water heaters.

riksvsreward

Reaction score
Water Heater

Thanks - that definitely seems to be the consensus on the board. What is your take on tankless?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It depends on where you are and what your hot water usage is.

Here in the northeast our winter water temperatures get pretty darn cold and really the only use I can see is if someone was installing a huge water wasting multi head shower system. People with this type usage lay out the $$$$ for a bank of these units that will take 34 degee water and turn it into endless hot water for a 17.5 GPM shower.

The poor guy here that installs a single unit ends up where no one else in the house can run hot water while he takes a shower with a single head flowing 2.5 GPM. There are a couple of units that have huge burners in the 380,000 Btu range that recently came out these may make a difference.

Sizing and rate of rise is everything with these units! A user in the south might be very happy with a smaller single unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks