Direct Vents through side wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Mathe

Reaction score
Hey all,
To prevent having to make more roof penetrations, I am considering venting my direct vent gas furnace and water heater, using concentric vents, through the sidewall on the back porch of my new barndominium.

I have attached a picture showing the proposed locations of the vents.

I also wonder if moisture from the exhaust will cause issues with frost or ice buildup.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

VentJPG.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
To prevent having to make more roof penetrations, I am considering venting my direct vent gas furnace and water heater, using concentric vents, through the sidewall on the back porch of my new barndominium.
Concentric vent would use one big hole. You are thinking of twin pipes.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You cannot vent under an over hang as it would prevent proper venting and would possibly allow the exhaust to reenter the structure ( SEE the NFPA)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can likely find the installation instructions online and preview them and in there, it will list allowed and disallowed runs for their exhausts...there are some very specific clearance and obstruction requirements, and as mentioned, you must have open sky and no operable windows or vents within certain distances and orientations for your exhaust (and intake!). For example, you don't want to be near the exhaust for a clothes drier, as the potential lint and chlorine from bleach residue can ruin your heat exchanger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks