Direct vent clearance to outside corner

Users who are viewing this thread

MarlanC

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to determine a venting plan for multiple items on a wall with not much space... and I can't find any reference to needed clearance to an outside corner for a direct vent high efficiency furnace. I am in Seattle. The furnace is a Carrier 59MN7A. I looked through the install manual but didn't find a specific number. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Marlan

Reach4

Reaction score
http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/public/0f/59mn7a-08si.pdf page 46 has some pretty harsh wording on this.
Inside Corner Terminations Corner terminations for Direct Vent (2-pipe) terminations are permitted provided that: 1. The Direct Vent termination is located on the longer of the two walls. 2. The Direct Vent termination is located at a distance farther away from the inside corner than the length of the adjacent wall. 3. All other clearance requirements are met. See Fig. 41​
huge2.GIF

MarlanC

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that part about inside corners. However, it is an outside corner clearance I'm trying to determine. One of the notes on page 59 state: For clearances not specified in ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 or CAN/CSA B 149.1, clearances shall be in accordance with local installation codes and the requirements of the gas supplier and the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Outside corner clearance is not specified by ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 and I certainly can't find it in the manufacturer's installation instructions. Seems like outside corner clearance would have been mentioned in that same section that inside corners was called if there was a manufacturer's requirement.

I don't find any reference to outside corner clearance in Seattle's fuel gas code (but I may just not have found it).

Wondering if this means there isn't a required clearance?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks