Dimmer switches and flickering SATCO flush mount LED's

Users who are viewing this thread

doughpat

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm losing my mind trying to fix this flickering issue with a room full of Satco flush mount 5" LED's. They're the 5" version of these: Satco link

I've tried 3 dimmers now -- all of them on the 'compatible' list. All of them flicker to some degree. I can usually find a light level where they don't flicker -- but only for a while. Eventually they flicker (as in over the course of an hour).

On a probably-related note: There is some kind of strange 'coupling' of another lights circuits on the same breaker. I.e. when I change the dimmer settings of the living room, it causes the bedroom lights to behave erratically. (Note the bedroom lights have no dimmer--just a standard switch, and turning them on eliminates any erratic behavior).

Wondering if a more high end / 'techy' dimmer could be better at preventing flickering?

I've tried Lutron DVCL-153P
Leviton 6674
Leviton Maestro MACL-153MLRHW

All on their compatible list.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Call dimmer manufacturer ask for tech. My ceiling fans have remote dimmer that only works with filament bulbs because then don't vary voltage they cycle power on & off. Just trying to make a led work screwed filament and a led it worked on full brite but led failed shortly.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You may have several causes and it's not the dimmer switches. 1) minimum quality made LED light fixtures (most likely), 2) the dimmer switch is putting out an RF noise that affects other LED (least probable) or 3) wiring issues (probably).

LED lights, there is no standard definition for "dimmer" LEDs. Your fixture is most likely dimmable to 50%. Below a certain power level they will flutter since the LED cannot maintain bias. That is the LED emits light only after a minimum voltage is reach. Internally about 3.5v across the LED. Some LED fixtures are quite good and can be dimed further down. I have candelabra LED light with the filament type LED. These work incredibly good with dimmers to almost nothing as it can be done on incandescent light bulbs. The most important aspect is the internal driver that controls the light output.

The spec on your fixtures does not list a dimmable range, some do. All it reads is "dimmable". I cannot tell if this are direct wired or have a wire to screw into a ceiling fixture. If they are screw in type, try a different brand and if so get a PAR30 LED dimmable light bulb. From my experience, SATCO never had high quality products at least with incandescent bulb.

You may have wiring issues, not dimmer problems. The dimmer is exacerbating the problem. A dimmer at one switch should not affect lights on another switch. You may need to open all outlets and switches especially if it is one the same circuit breaker. for this one circuit. I'm suspecting a bad wire nut connection or a bad outlet. Look closely at the neutral (white) connections.

This is for a Philips BR30 flood light, notice it reads "fully dimmable".
Philips LED BR30 light bulbs are a smart alternative to standard incandescent and designed to deliver everyday value and effective, consistent light. Fully dimmable, this 11-Watt LED light bulb is the perfect replacement for recessed cans or track light fixtures. It provides a soft white (2700K) light, making it perfect for your family room, den or bedroom. It lasts 10-year and can replace your current 65-Watt BR30 incandescent light bulb.

These are dimmed to almost the bottom of the dimmer switch slide.
14437061-EC5B-417C-BC64-4C0301C11C6B_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks