Dim lights and low voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerryotis

Reaction score
I bought an old cabin with a relatively new mast and meter base. Recently, Our lights wouldn't come on or were dim. I checked the voltage from the meter base where it connects to the buss bars. I have 213 volts on one and 27 volts on the other. Had no problems whatsoever last time we were there and then the next visit this situation. Any thoughts? It's a remote location and it's winter, so before I call the power company I want to be sure that I have covered all my own bases first. Thank you!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The voltage drop is going to be either at the meter base or anywhere between it and the transformer, or the transformer itself. The meter base would be tagged so only the power company can break the seal to troubleshoot further. Is it an aerial or underground service?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have 213 volts on one and 27 volts on the other
The fault is on the neutral since the two add up to 240V and each leg should be 120V. Where did you reference neutral, and what do you get between neutral and the protection ground? Did you check for loose connections?

Jerryotis

Reaction score
The fault is on the neutral since the two add up to 240V and each leg should be 120V. Where did you reference neutral, and what do you get between neutral and the protection ground? Did you check for loose connections?
It is an aerial supply. When I tested, I referenced from the ground bar which is bonded (stacked) on the neutral bar. I am attaching a photo of the panel. I have checked all connections for being tight.

Attachments

• cabin panel.jpeg
    cabin panel.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 392

Jerryotis

Reaction score
It is an aerial supply. When I tested, I referenced from the ground bar which is bonded (stacked) on the neutral bar.

Attachments

• panel neutral and ground bars.jpeg
    panel neutral and ground bars.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 319

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I do see the set screw in the first picture. The set screw should be the same length extending out behind the same size wire on both sides. Be sure they’re tight.

Check your ground rod. With an old cabin it could be corroded.

Call the power company anyway. They care about safety and to do a check to the meter is there responsibility. With a new drop maybe they missed something. When they show up they might have a suggestion where the problem could be. If anything they maybe able to recommend an approved electrian.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I see one set of large gauge wires coming in from the left going straight to the buss. The neutral connection to the buss needs close scrutiny as an open or high resistance connection would give those sort of voltage readings assuming that is the feed. If so then there has to be another panel between that one and the meter for the main breaker or fuses. Check the voltages there too.

Stuff

Reaction score
That is a split-bus panel so likely there is no main breaker upstream, just meter box.

Pull on that left neutral wire to see if it is loose.

213 volts is enough to fry a bunch of stuff so watch out. Give the power company a call as most have 24x7 crews that are there to address open neutrals.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
A connection at the mast could be loose. In a cold spell the wire may contract enough to become loose.

Many parts of the country the main breaker is at the meter box. On top is the meter and below it is a breaker panel. Any panel down stream would be protected from this main.

https://homedepot.app.link/TljGW9o1UJ

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not in the know of varying codes, figured all of the US would at least have a main breaker/disconnect. Scary if there is none. I also looked for the protection ground in the panel and while I could see a bare copper wire terminated on the buss, I could not see where it went.

That video is also a little scary where the messenger is the neutral and is bonded to the mast. So then if that messenger has a bad connection at the pole, the neutral and the mast can have a voltage present that only a grounding rod would try to pull down? I've seen places where the minimum required two ground rods could not shunt enough to even throw a breaker.

I once did a repair call on a building that had an underground service where the neutral was open and the protection ground was to a copper water pipe. There was so much current flowing through the pipe that the cold water ran warm.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not in the know of varying codes, figured all of the US would at least have a main breaker/disconnect.
I was always wondering about movies where the bad guy turns off the power from outside. Is that outside disconnect the norm in Ontario?

Around here, the norm is to have the main breaker as part of the breaker box.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
That video is an extreme case and nothing about it was safe. You never know when purchasing old property what work was done. Replacing a meter box and mast would require a permit and inspection before the electric company would connect to it. This new mast is most likely done correctly. Many county’s web sites building department you can search open or closed permits on a particular property.

My home built in 2007 has such a meter box with the main breaker at the meter. This is preferred that can allow firemen to switch the power off without having to enter home and before dumping water onto it. Without an outside main they remove the meter.
In the sourthern US almost all homes are built on concrete slabs. An outside panel makes it easy and safe to add outdoor circuits such as for a pool or spa. Just bury the conduit.

The panel in the my garage is a 200 amp 40 circuit box. It is protected by the main 200 amp breaker at the meter. When I need to work inside the panel I just walk outside the garage and flip the main.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Any bad guy can easily remove a meter if they want to cut power. Most older homes and especially in snow country the main is inside at the main panel. Who would want to walk outside went it is 10 degrees F and be standing in 2 ft of snow. My first Florida home built in 1990 had the main breaker and panel inside the garage. There was no breaker or panel at the meter.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
That video is also a little scary where the messenger is the neutral and is bonded to the mast. So then if that messenger has a bad connection at the pole, the neutral and the mast can have a voltage present that only a grounding rod would try to pull down? I've seen places where the minimum required two ground rods could not shunt enough to even throw a breaker.

Messenger connection really doesn't matter as mast is bonded to the meter box which the neutral is bonded to. Only thing insulating messenger does is prevent a parallel ground/neutral path between the weatherhead and meter.

Reach4

Reaction score
I cannot speak for all of Ontario, but I've never seen an outdoor disconnect for the service mains for residential. Mine is on the breaker panel.
I think that is the norm in California, at least in the area where they made the movies.

And I am thinking that would be a separate main breaker for the cabin, and probably outside, since the box shown does not have the main breaker. If I am right, that would be a good place to take more voltage readings. If there is not a main breaker somebody else, a new box could provide the main breaker and fix the problem breakers that Stuff pointed out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks